I Remember When...

I remember when we were kids,
I'd come over all the time and your mom was like my second moms
Your dad, as stubborn and "humorously" rude he was, he was still like another pops to me.
I'd stay weekends and nights and anytime we had a break from school, I'd come over and hang with you.
Your house was like my home away from home and mine was your home away from home.

No matter what was going on, we were there for each other. We'd get in trouble together. You'd get in trouble doing something stupid and your mom got angry. I even remember the times when she'd be yelling at you but staring at me. Seriously that was worrisome despite her words of "I'm so mad at him I rather look at your beautiful face instead."

Then you'd get a butt whooping and I'd be there for you, no judgments when you'd try not to cry and I'd hug you and cheer you up with some made up game and letting you be the dog when we played monopoly.

I remember when we'd play house, monopoly and tons more. You'd lose sometimes and I'd lose sometimes. It was all good because we never kept score.

I remember when you'd tease me about not knowing how to swim without floaties and being afraid to go underwater or my swimming cap because there was no way I was getting my hair wet.

I remember when I'd tease you about being a "mutt", black and Jamaican and Indian and native American and even Chinese. I was stunned but it definitely explained your pretty light skin. Who knows you probably had some white in you too. It wasn't to be hurtful, in fact I always found it amazing. The different cultures that ran through your blood and why your mom made jamacian and Indian and all this new food to me. I definitely loved the dinner times.

I remember when we'd go to the pool or beach or water parks all throughout the summertimes. The time I had just hot my hair done in pretty candy curls. You said I looked like a black curly sue and laughed and I fake glared at you and ruffled up your hair. I loved it back then when I was actually taller than you and I actually looked like I was older than you like I am by three years.

We went to the pool near your house and I knew I shouldn't go in since I just got my hair done the previous day. You promised it wouldn't get wet and I really wanted to hang out with you so I got in. We played til it started to thunder and we had to get out and rush back to your crib.

My hair was... Wet. Curls flopping and drooping and barely there.

I knew I was going to be in trouble so bad when I got home but in that moment, you made me forget all that as we just played games and filled your house with laughs. Later when I got home, I thought about all the fun we had as my mom yelled and fussed and beat my behind. It hurt like crazy but the day made it worth it.

I remember when I was thirteen and I got my first period... Which just so happened to be at your house. I was freaked out and confused and your ten year old self didn't know anymore than I did. As I cried from confusion and pain, you ran off to your mom's room and dragged her to where I was. She hugged me and you rubbed my back, even though you still had no clue what was going on.

I remember when puberty began and things started to change. My body, my emotions, my feelings and out friendship. I started to crush on you and wonder how it'd be if we someday were together. I knew it was stupid, I was chubb and big and you'd never like me back, you probably only saw me as an older sister type. I tried to ignore those strange feelings but it was so hard. We were so close. Our frequent sleepovers had to stop according to your mom. We were growing up and with puberty and hormones it wasn't a good idea. It sucked and we started to drift apart... We were still friends but you had your boy squad and I had my girls.

I remember when I was in my junior year and you in your freshman year, we grew closet once more as I tutored you in math and I watched over you in school, making sure you didn't get into trouble and that you did your best in class. My crush resurfaced and I felt so conflicted. Still insecure and sure you'd never return my feelings as I was still big and girls your age seemed to be interested. You never dated any of them, but that just meant you didn't want to date yet.