[ chapter seventeen: the initiation ]

Start from the beginning

"That's your fault. You had the chance," she informed me and I scoffed, shaking my head.

"I don't know when I'm going to have another chance to kiss him," I told my friends.

"Are you going to hang out with him today?" Alice asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know. I could," I admitted. "But what excuse would I use?"

"You don't exactly need one," Cam responded.

"Yeah, but I want to have a reason. I don't want to seem clingy," I expressed. "I see him every day. And won't it seem a bit odd that I'd want to hang out with him alone at his house the day after we almost kissed?"

"Who said anything about being at his house?" Alice asked.

"We're not going to my house- no way. Leo would not allow that to happen," I told my two friends. "And he's going to be getting out of football practice. I doubt he's going to want to go out and do something at six o'clock; he's going to be tired."

"Well, let's see how things turn out," Alice anticipated.

"I wish you the best," Cam smirked at me.

+ + +

While waiting to go home, I decided to remain in the stands at the football field rather than the confines of the gym. I sat close to the bottom, near the player's water bottles. I was working on my homework, struggling to complete my Chemistry packet. I stared at the players, watching as they slowly made their way back to the bleachers.

I stared at Phoenix, identifying him by the number branding his clothes. He removed his helmet as he grew closer, running his hand through his sweaty hair and I wrinkled my nose at him. He stuck out his tongue in response. After practically guzzling the remains of his water, he approached me, looking at the work in my lap.

"What are you doing?" he inquired.

"I was doing my Chemistry homework," I told him. "I don't get it."

"I can help you," he responded. I noticed Leo a few feet away, drinking water, but obviously listening.

"When can you do that?" I asked him.

"I have to run to the store on my way home, and then I want to shower, so after that. Maybe six?" he asked. That should give me enough time to do the rest of my homework, change, and try to look pretty.

"Where?" I questioned as I finished packing my bag.

"My house," he answered. "If that's okay with you."

"Why your house?" my brother blurted from a few feet away. Phoenix turned to look at him.

"I have to babysit my little sisters," Phoenix informed him. "My mom is going out tonight, so I have to watch them."

My brother nodded slowly as he turned and began walking towards the locker rooms. Phoenix looked at me and smiled. "So six o'clock at my house?"

"That sounds good," I told him.

"Do you want anything from the store? Candy? Chips?" he questioned and I shook my head.

"No, thanks," I responded.

"Okay, well I'm going to go change in the locker rooms. I'll see you at six," he smiled and I smiled back, nodding my head.

+ + +

I got home and zoomed through my homework, leaving the Chemistry packet, as well as my binder for the class, aside. After freshening up, I walked towards my closet, thinking about how I could change my outfit without being too obvious. I removed my hoodie, switching it out for a pretty cardigan. I also switched from my usual sneakers to a pair of flats. I brushed out my hair, pulling it into a fishtail braid over my shoulder. I examined myself in the mirror and nodded. I don't look half bad, I thought to myself.