Chapter Twenty-Two - A Tale of the Two Spirit Keepers

Tweedle tags along behind me, following me inside my new den. I nod at my new guards, as the old ones retired to become Elders, ashamed they had to serve such a menace.

"Good day, Ezra, Archie."

They nod and return back to their chatter, although they remain alerted. The sparkles fly out of their ears like a wildfire. I trust them.

I sit down, and Tweedle sits across from me.

"What is it Tweedle?"

"Th-that shadow... In wherever I was... I sense horrible vibes from him."

"Who wouldn't?"

"No, no, I mean... Seriously. Worse than you could imagine."

"Oh, yeah, sure," I say, brushing off her concerns.

"He admitted he has an unholy presence, Naomi," she said, her voice firm, "Only DarkOnes do that. Do you think it could be a departed DarkOne?"

"Tweedle, just get out of my den and go organize some hunting parties, maybe even a large border patrol."

"B-but..."

"I will have Ezra and Archie escort you if you do not obey my orders."

"Yes, Alpha." She walks away slowly, her head low.

"No, Tweedle. You call me Naomi, your my best friend."

"You dont seem to like it when I call you Naomi now, do you? Now that your in such high power you need to be addressed properly. Being Alpha isn't a cakewalk."

"How would you know? You've never been one." Her face goes dark, and she turns her low head back around and leaves. I hear muffled whispers outside, but dismiss it.

Even though Venus and Flare are out for us, I don't see what there is to worry about.

I poke my head outside, Ezra and Archie ignoring me. I see Tweedle stalking across the camp to the Sky den, brushing off wolves she is being congratulated by.  I find her rude now that she is Beta.

"Ezra, Archie," I whisper, trying to get their attention. They turned their heads toward me, startled.

"Tip: Be more alert," I say and we laugh. "Anyways, if anybody asks where I am, tell them I'm here but am in no mood to be disturbed."

Archie, disobeying the guard law, asks, "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere, I'm not in a mood to be disturbed," I wink and take off, sticking to the shadows like when I was a pup looking for Shale.

When I finally escaped the camp, I fly low to the ground, going significantly faster than when I run.

I head in the direction of Tree's cave. When I reach it, I duck inside with my head high.

"Tree," I demand, and her purple ghost appears.

"Ahh, Naomi, welcome back!" She chirps happily.

"I need information now."

"What sort of information?

"You. Spirit Keepers. History," I wink, "An unholy presence in Andy's cave."

Tree freezes, her face a dead expression.

"That's where Tweedle was...?" She asks shakily.

I nod. "Yes, indeed."

"I have told you about him long ago, have I not?"

"If you do, I do not recall."

Tree sighed, "Get comfy."

I nod and lay down, looking up at her.

"You already know how us Spirit Keepers work, of course. But, nobody ever really understands our backstories. Blah blah blah, I was born, when we became apprentices we were exiled, blah blah StonePack and fake deaths, blah blah blah. But the important stuff comes in here: Dally and Andano were Spirit Keepers along with me. When we realized our role, we sought out the Book of Souls - the book that had all of our rules, enchantments and restrictions inside. We found it at a Stone Patch in the desert, deeply hidden.

"We were shocked by most of the rules - we were not allowed to love. We were not allowed to communicate with normals - which we had already broken, so there was no point in trying not to. Although to Dally we were all enemies, I secretly loved Andano. I showed affection to him in private, as he did to me. Soon enough, we tried for a child - and we had one. It was a beautiful girl named Venus. She had these amazing wings..."

Her gaze drifted off as she remembered her baby girl.

I gasp. "Venus?!"

"Yes, Venus," she said dreamily.

"She's evil! She's after my Pack, and she's sided with Flare, who is her sister!"

"Oh, yes, I remember giving birth to Flare... They were both special, Flare being immortal and-- Wait, evil?"

"Yes... And, immortal?!"

"I have done so many wrongs, Naomi. This is why they tortured my StonePack wolves, and I have most likely began this turmoil."

"But... What about Andano?"

"We split up at the border, remember? We can't leave our death areas, so we can't visit. And, he is very unholy. You need watch out for him."

"He possessed Tweedle..."

"But... He doesn't have the ability to possess."