Chapter Eighteen - The Firey Destruction

I gasped at the sight I was seeing. Soon-to-be's and other wolves were racing to the top of the mountains. Pups snuck out of the nursery, sneaking beside their Mothers and elders stumbled out of their dens.

I could hear barks and howls as Tweedle, Tango and I ran closer to the chaos.

We scrambled up the mountain and stopped dead in our tracks when we saw what we saw. A wave of fire.

"What?" Said Damion, a Water wolf, who stood beside me. "How is there a wave of fire? Tango, why?" He turned to Tango, dancing on the hot stone being heated by the fire.

"I don't know-- wait. Venus," Tango replied shakily, collapsing to the ground. Her body heated up and then she rose into the air, her whole body sagging.

A deep laugh came from her possessed body.

"Aha! So I see you thought I couldn't do what I said?" The voice asked. And, obviously, it was Venus. Then her wings grew, entirely black, and she just hovered there in the air. I turned to Damion.

"Don't just stand there! Do something, you damn Water wolf! Get the whole Element together and take out the fire!" I yelled at him, and he looked startled. He nodded and quickly ran away.

The fire wolves backed up in fear, which I found strange. Aren't they immune to fire?

I heard a shrill bark. I whipped around to see Venus biting into an innocent pup.

"I can turn your world of love upside down, Naomi," she said slyly.

I tried to fly up, but I couldn't. Why? So many questions buzzed in my head as I also tried to comprehend this chaos.

I looked back at the wave. It's speed was no joke, it was getting rapidly closer.

Flare was staring intensely at Venus, who stared back.

"Freeze!" Venus shouted. And the world froze, leaving only me, Flare and Venus unfrozen.

"You forgot to freeze someone," I said.

Flare frowned. "Who knew my most trusted wolf could be such an idiot..." She muttered. I stepped back, harmed by her comment.

"Well, hello there, old friend Flare," Venus sneered. "Long time no see." She smirked, looking at me. She wanted me to listen.

"It has been a long time, has it not?" Flare said through angrily gritted teeth. She looked at me with worried eyes. Flare, clearly, didn't want me to listen, but I knew a wave of lies were soon to wash me to shore.

"Remember when we were pups, rolling around in forest muck?" Venus asked Flare, smirking. "I remember how we would steal the herbs from the Healer and then make shapes with them. Oh, the red mid season was the best. Running through leaves, dancing in the midst of brightly red, orange and yellow trees."

Flare bit her lip, then grit her teeth again. "Yes... It was."

"Remember," Venus began again, "when you we exiled? How you just ran away to the mountains, and you promised to come visit me? But you didn't." I stared in shock. Flare was Forest-born?

"Yes, I remember. I was getting caught up with hunting, Venus, you know that. I can't just waltz back into the forest all holly jolly and say hello to my old Pack. It's not all sunshine and rabbits, Venus," Flare fired back with a clear, strong, voice.

"Oh, but it is now, isn't it? Being the Alpha of an incredibly large, powerful, 'special' Pack. In your world, all I see are rainbows and daisies." Venus spit with disgust and I continued to just stand there angrily.

"Venus, stop."

"Sister, sister, sister, come on now. You could join me and rule all of the island."

"SISTER?" I blurted unintentionally. I stared at Flare with red hot eyes. "Why didn't you tell me this?"

Flare stared at me angrily. "I'm not one of your lowly friends that you need to know everything about. I am an Alpha, and I get my privacy! You do not get to sneak in on my life!"

I stepped back, angry at her. I am her most trusted wolf. Why does she not trust me fully?

"Sister," Flare continued, "Venus, I mean. I have not taken a liking to this nosy wolf. Enchant me, o sister."

Venus cackled loudly, having now taken over Tango's body completely. "Unfreeze! Undo!" The world returned to its chaos, and as I turned around, the wave of fire disappeared just as it knocked out the up-front wolves.

I turned back around and looked at Flare and Venus. Flare and Venus were entirely black, and Flare even had wings. But enchanting? That's a long lost SkyPack ritual. There was no way an UnderPack wolf would know how to do it.

The howling, barking, and chaos stopped. I looked out at the two territories of forest and desert.

The desert was left untouched in its yellow bareness, while more than half the forest was burnt down. Luckily, the wave never touched the ForestPack camp. The SandPack camp remained unscathed as well.

I looked at the small pup that lay dead behind me, only to see a sobbing Mother rush over to her.

"Peak! No!" She cried out, being left alone to mourn her loss. I drifted over to the crowd of wolves surrounding all the ones wiped out in the wave.

I looked around for Tweedle, but I didn't see her.

I examined all the dead wolves, double checking to see her. They were all piled up, so I had no chance of seeing those at the base. I was panicking. Did Tweedle die or not?

I reached a large crowd of wolves. I walked over and pushed my way in.

I gasped. The Beta lay in a pool of blood, lifeless.

"What are we going to do now?" A wolf said.

"I don't know," another replied.

I looked over the edge of the mountain. Half of it was black from the fire.

I spotted Damion's bright pink fur out of the corner of my eye, accompanied by a deep red.

He was dead too.

I turned my attention back to the crowd that surrounded the Beta. Instead of mourning, I asked wolves where Tweedle was.

They all said they didn't know, some even had no heart to say that she may be dead, beneath all those others.

And so I began my search for Tweedle.