Chapter Seventeen - The Dream of Venus

Tweedle licked me goodnight as I drifted to sleep.

The world was white. White trees with hints of gray and white grass and a dark blue sky.

I wandered throughout the bland world until I found a patch of green. I looked at it carefully. Then, looking up, I stopped dead in my tracks. I stepped back cautiously.

A majestic white wolf floated in the sky, bearing wings much larger than I.

"Well, well," the wolf said in a pitchy voice, "you finally decided to visit the dream world?" I looked around for a way out. The white world behind me disappeared, leaving me in this green meadow with this strange wolf.

"Wha-who-who are you?" I ask, tilting my head and raising my wings. They sparkled intensely.

"I am Venus, Daughter of Malachi and Harlem of ForestPack," said the wolf. "And what about you, little Mystic rat?"

"I am Naomi, Raised by Marmitia of the Mystics," I said, standing taller. Her attitude was incredibly daring when it came to facing a Mystic.

"Oh, so you're the one I was so 'destined' to meet," she said, a cloud floating beneath her. She laid on it, looking at me with a small, strange smile. "Well, let me tell you about me, young rat."

I growled quietly.

"I was born with wings, just like you. They named me Venus after my departed sibling. Oh, how they all hated having a winged wolf with them! They all hated me, but look at you. You're loved by all those surrounding you. And why is that? Haven't you ever wondered why you are loved? Or did you just start wondering? You are only loved because you were born into a special Pack, and being born into a special Pack does not make it a surprise there will be born a special wolf with special wings! I was born into a regular Pack, and look at me. Bruised and beaten all because I had wings."

She flew over to me and hissed in my ear. "I am going to turn your world upside down just as mine was!" Her voice got louder and louder as she spoke until it turned into a sharp scream.

I bolted awake, panting heavily. Tweedle was staring at me with worried eyes. Looking around, I saw even more wolves. Marmitia, Tango (the Sky healer), and Flare -- Flare? Flare never attends to nightmare matters.

"Why is Tango here?" I ask. I did not mean to come off rude, but it sounded horrible.

"I can not just heal people, Naomi, I can see their nightmares and dreams. But yours... Yours was vague," Tango said worriedly. She looked offended by my question as well.

"You want Naomi to tell you about it?" Tweedle asked, edging closer to me. I smiled up at her but she ignored me, looking intensely at Flare and Tango.

"No. She will not tell me, she will tell Flare. I will sit and listen and..." Her voice trailed off as she looked at Flare. Flare had a twisted frown on her face, but she flicked her tail, motioning for me to follow. I stood up shakily and stumbled to the swirling staircase.

I leapt shakily from rock to rock, careful not to fall. I tried to fly but my wings were too tired.

Finally making it to Flare's den, I realize Tweedle was following us as well. I slowed down, walking alongside her into the entrance.

"You're not supposed to accompany us," I whispered to Tweedle, trying to figure out her face in the dark of the night.

Making it inside Flare's den I was soothed by the soft light of a man made torch.

Tweedle grins. "I know," she whispers, retreating to the dark corner of Flare's den to stalk. Tango sat beside Flare, ready to listen. Flare nodded, a signal for me to speak. So I told her only about the Venus part, which I was surprised I remembered.

"Venus..." Flare whispered. She gasped and look at Tango.

"Venus!" They cried in unison, their eyes brimming with hatred. "Everything she told you is false!" Tango yelled. I could hear Tweedle trying not to gasp in the background.

"So she won't ruin my life?" I asked. Tango looked at Flare worriedly.

"She will try," Tango said, "but that is not false. Her history she told you, of being hated -- she was feared. She was around before the DarkOnes, and she hated peace. So she overthrew both alphas and began to rule over both Packs. She was the obvious spawn of UnderPack... In fact she--" Tango was interrupted by collective howls outside. We all leapt up, Tweedle to, and dashed outside to see what was happening.