~Chapter Fourteen~

~Patrick's POV~

I looked up from Pete's still face for the owner of the voice. The room was empty except for myself and my unconscious friends scattered over the floor.

I looked back down at Pete and slid my hand across his cheek. "You'll be fine...Just stay with me..."

"He won't, Patrick." I looked up and around as the voice returned again. "Speakers...And also cameras that can see something sharp in Pete's side."

I turned back to Pete and gasped. There was a screwdriver like tool poking out of his side. I looked at it and willed it to come out, afraid that if I actually touched it, I would hurt him.

"Just stay okay...Just stay okay..." I mumbled, holding his body in one arm and cupping his cheek in my hand with the other, "You're going to be okay Pete..." The blue glow from our contact was faint.

I heard the disembodied voice laugh echo around me. "What are you going to do Patrick?"

I looked around, trying to at least find the speaker the voice was coming from.

"Your friends are all unconscious and that poor boy in your arms is getting weaker by the second." The voice taunted, "What can you do?"

I looked at my friends lying on the floor, then at Pete in my arms. I was alone in this instant...But at the same time, I wasn't. I remembered the closeness of this group. For months we were all each other had.

"I can hope..." I whispered almost silently. I flashed my eyes yellow and just looked at Pete. It didn't really help anything... I flashed them back to normal.

I heard a loud thumping noise coming from behind the upright table Pete had been strapped to. I looked up and saw double doors. There was a shadow on the other side, looming over the window.

"You're pathetic, Stump." The voice continued over the invisible loud speakers, "All alone. Just like always. Even the one closest to you is slowly dying."

I looked at the shadow behind the door. That had to be the voice...If I could just open the doors... I thought hard, focusing on the doors. I watched them start to shake before shooting open, revealing Doctor Lite.

He looked surprised, then laughed. He clapped his hands together slowly, "Bravo! Looks like my tests helped you unlock a work template for your gift."

"You didn't do anything with those tests." I shot back. I felt a brief flash of pain go through my head.

"You surely didn't do it all on your own." Dr. Lite slowly walked into the room, "I helped you unlock it. I tinkered around in your head with the help of some of my other pets-"

"We're not your pets!" I yelled, cutting him off, "We're people! We were just kids..."

"But now you're here!" The doctor argued, "And that makes you mine." He walked faster over to where I was holding Pete and loomed darkly over me. He leaned down and I felt fear wash over me.

"I'm still in there, Stump." He said lowly. I felt my vision blur slightly. "You may have broken out of it momentarily, but my influence is still in your head."

My vision became spotted. I tried to shake it away, but it wouldn't go away. I was getting light headed...

"No..." I closed my eyes and turned my head down to look at Pete when I opened them. The blue glow from our touch was faded even more still. "Jus...hold on..."

"Don't you wish it were that easy?" With the doctor's words, I felt a sharp pain to the back of my head. I was still in the process of falling over when everything went black.