~Chapter Three~

The next morning was the same with Dr. Walker waking us up and escorting us to the cafeteria. Gerard was shaking nervously before we stepped through the cafeteria doors.

"Frankie!" Gerard ran, nearly tripping to get to the table. Frank jumped up from his seat and threw his arms around Gerard, a look of relief rushing over his face when they made contact.

I walked into the room and saw that the only available seat at the table was next to Pete. He was poking lightly at his food when I came over.

"Hey." I smiled, taking the empty seat and sitting down without getting any food.

"Hi." Pete smiled as I sat down. His eyes flashed over to the Doctor waiting by the door before he spoke again in a softer tone, "Are you okay? We didn't see you after breakfast at all."

"Well...I'm not dead at least." I muttered quietly. I was still unable to retrieve the memories I had lost. Who knows what really happened in that room.

"That's not exactly comforting..." Pete frowned, looking me over. He had a protective atmosphere around him. For some reason, it felt safe to be next to this kid I knew hardly anything about.

"Gerard, honey." Dr. Walker had come up to the table, "It's time to go."

"But I-I just got here." He looked up from his chair at the doctor in desperation. His hand gripped Frank's tightly on top of the table.

"Time flies when you're having fun." She tilted her head slightly with a creepy smile, "But you have an appointment." She tapped the clipboard that she always seemed to have under her arm.

"I don't..." Gerard started weakly, but the doctor had already pulled his chair away from the table.

"Now don't be difficult honey." She continued to smile.

"G..." Frank spoke quietly. He leaned into Gerard's ear and whispered something inaudible to the rest of us. Gerard just nodded and quietly stood, finally complying to the doctor's orders. She smiled at him and lead him away from our round circle.

I looked down. I knew Gerard was terrified. I had seen him last night!.. Whatever Frank had said really seemed to calm him, however.

"Patrick." I turned when Pete said my name. He pushed his plate of mashed up scrambled eggs in front of me.

"You missed lunch and dinner yesterday. Not to mention you skipped out on yesterday breakfast." He nodded towards the plate, "Eat... Just so I know you've eaten something?" He gave me a small smile.

I smiled back, taking the plate and letting a few crushed egg bits pass my lips. I saw Pete sigh out of the corner of my eye. He seemed so worried for someone he had never known before a few days ago...

"Brendon." Everybody turned their heads to see Doctor Walker already back in the room with her less than comforting smile, "They're ready for your evaluation."

"But I'm not ready to abandon my egg." Brendon said with a cheekful of food.

"Last bite." The Doctor said, tapping her clipboard, "Let's go." Her tone was slightly harsher now.

Brendon quickly scooped the remaining egg into his mouth and stood. Dr. Walker's smile and sweet tone returned.

"Alright, right this way." She led Brendon away.

I turned back to the table and pushed the eggs Pete had given me around on the plate. I looked over at Pete. He had tensed. He looked worried as all hell when Brendon disappeared from sight. He glanced over at me and held eye contact for a moment. His vibrant eyes held me. I could see him relax the longer we held our gaze. It was comforting him.