Chapter 9: JUST DO IT!

"I just don't know what to do with him!" I yell at mom. She was propped up in her hospital bed, her now shoulder length hair sprawled out on her pillow. I was laying on the rail of her bed with a scowl plastered on my face. "Oh don't look at me like that. This is different from you and dad. Dick's different. Dad wasn't a playboy like Dick is. Dad did what he had to for appearances, Dick does it for himself. Dad told me so, so... It's different!" I fell back into my chair in frustration. "And now I'm yelling at my unconscious mother." I sighed and hunched over. "Sorry mom. I've just been on edge because of this 'Is or Isn't Richard the Dick I knew from when I was younger?' thing, so sorry about my outburst." I looked over pale features. "Sometimes I wonder if you can even hear me. Like, if when you wake up, you'll wake up laughing at me because of all the stupid things I've said. I really miss you mom."

I stood up and stretched. "Well I'd better stay by my phone before Richard calls. Bye mom," I kissed her head. "Oh and I'm finally going to wear that red dress you got me. But I promise not to have too much fun in it." I winked and left the hospital.

Richard's pov

I rubbed my eyes from staring at my computer for God knows how long, trying to stay awake. The late night patrols didn't help, and neither did the nervousness I felt with Miss Kitty joining the team. "Mr. Grayson, sir?" I looked up groggily at the officer next to me. When I just looked at him, not saying anything, he handed me a envelope. It was light pink and fastened with a red heart sticker. I gave the guy a questioning look but he just shrugged. Inside was a cream colored piece of paper. It read:

Hey,

It's Kitty. We never exchanged numbers and the station said you didn't want to be disturbed, so I went with the old fashioned letter method. Pretty smart right?

Anyways, enclosed it my number, call me when you get this so we can set up another date.

Sincerly,

Kitty =^.^=

I gave a small laugh. Kitty really was a strange girl. Sometimes she was serious and emotional but then, on the turn of a dime, she was bubbly and ready to do anything. I shook my head and called her number. She picked up at the second ring. "Hello?" She said. "Hey, it's me, Richard. I just got your letter." I answered. "Oh, right!" She declared. "I forgot, I even dropped it off, but I'm glad you got it." There was a pause. "So, I was wondering if you'd like to go to a party with me." I could hear her breathing into the phone as she waited for my answer. "That sounds cool. When is it?" She giggled a little. "Well, it's tomorrow, at six, but we could just meet at the station when you get off. Um, unless you want to meet at your apartment or mine, in case you need to change, because it is kinda a formal affair."

"No, we can meet at the station, I'll just change here." I felt a hot lump form in my throat. "Great! I'll see you then!" She said before hanging up. I laughed. "She can be so weird sometimes." Before I could even put my phone back down onto the table, it rang. "Yes, what is it?" I answered in a bit of an agitated voice. "Glad you're in a chipper mood." Bruce said with a laugh. I yawned. "Yeah, well, you letting you-know-who join the you-know-what, kept me up almost all night." I rubbed my left eye with my free hand. "I know you have a good reason for doing it, but I just can't figure it out yet." I sighed. "Anyways, I need to get to work, so talk fast."

"Right. I was just checking up on you, and how you're treating Katharine." He made it sound like it was a simple sentence, but I knew Bruce, and he wouldn't bring it up unless he a purpose to. "Bruce, what is Katharine to you?" Bruce coughed harshly. "Bruce, are you okay?" I asked. "I'm fine. I have to go." And with that, he hung up. "Weird." I muttered, setting the phone down and grabbing my coat. "Leaving so soon?" The chief asked. "Yeah, I need to meet with some friends. I'll be in early to compensate though. Don't worry." The chief laughed. "Don't worry about it. You're young, but you work like an old man, sleep in for once." I nodded and left the station.

"Recognized: B01-Nightwing." The Zeta Tube's feminine voice said. As I entered I adjusted my street clothes and sunglasses. I was about to walk into the kitchen when I heard a moan. "Wally! You're gonna tear me apart!" Miss Kitty said. My breath hitched in my throat. Where they really.... and with Artemis pregnant...? "Yeah? How about you take some of this! And this and THIS!" Wally's voice got increasingly louder. "NO! Don't do that!" MK practically screamed. "Haha! Who's your daddy!" Wally said. I felt a tap on my side. I looked to see Damian and Tim behind me. "What are they doing it there?" TIm asked. I shrugged. "I'll find out." Damian said, pushing past me and into the room. Tim and I waited for the scream from Damian, but it never came, so we too went into the room.

MK was laying on the counter with Wally doing a pitiful victory dance on the couch. "What were you two doing in here?" Tim asked, a distinct blush covering his face. MK sat up. "I'll tell you what he was doing!" She pointed to Wall with her controller. "He was cheating!" I moved to see the television. In big red letters it said, 'FATALITY' and I did a mental face palm. "Don't get your thong in a twist because you don't know how to play Mortal Kombat." Wally said with a triumphant smirk. MK growled. "I'll have you know that I don't wear thongs, I have more decency than that. AND if we had been playing Smash Bros you'd be the one with a thong in a twist!" She hopped off the counter about to leave, but she stopped at the door way. "I'm going to go play DDR. If anyone would like to try and beat me at that, you're more than welcome to." She chuckled darkly as she finally left.

Damian, Tim, and I let out a collective sigh. "Jeez. What's wrong with you guys." Wally asked as he resumed the game. "It sounded like you and MK were, well, ya know..." Tim trailed off and Damian rolled his eyes. "It sounded like you were putting your plug in her socket." He said bluntly. I didn't know if I wanted to yell at him for being so blunt or laugh at him for his metaphor. Wally chose to laugh. "Dude! Me and Kitty? That's a riot! She's already got a boyfriend and I don't know what he'd do if I even touched her in any other way than a handshake." He briefly looked to me then back to his game. "Besides, we were only playing the game because she's super nervous for her date with him tomorrow." Damian and Tim looked at one another and nodded. "Well, we'd better go check up on her then. Besides I do need that rematch for DDR." Tim said with a shrug. I shrugged too. "I'll come with, what's the worst that could happen?" I said. Damian and Tim looked at on another. "Your funeral." Damian said as we left Wally to his game.

Little to say, I did feel like a needed a doctor after one round against MK.