Chapter 3: Safe to Dance

"Dick! Calm down!" Wally said, shaking me. I'd been mumbling incoherent words as I sat on the couch ever since Ruby kissed me and left on that bus. "Look, I know you two had a thing but you need to get over it. Go out with Zatanna and get Ruby out of your head." I nodded. Yeah, what was I thinking. Why stress over one girl when I have another one waiting. "Thanks Wally. You always know how to cheer me up." I smiled and went ask Zatanna out.

However. Even after all the dates I'd been on, I could never forget Ruby. She was my first girlfriend and it was my fault that she'd left. Now, as Nightwing, i protect a different city. Bludhaven. Currently I'm looking into whoever has broken into the Conservatory. Looking in I see two women. One looks like Poison Ivy but I don't recognize the other girl, and what's Ivy doing so far from Gotham? I narrowed my eyes. There was only one way to find out.

"Stop!" I yelled. I jumped down and saw Ivy jacking the girl around. "Hey, ya need help?" I asked. The girl had goggles on top of her head, wore a full body cheetah suit and glared at me. "I'm a damsel. I'm in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day." She said, wiggling her fingers at me. I opened my mouth to say something when a vine sent me flying. I gave a grunt of pain as I was slammed against a wall. When I recovered I went to grab my sticks, but I was picked up by Ivy before I could even touch them. "You! Who are you?" Ivy screamed. Before I could answer her she screeched, arched her back, and dropped me.

I hunched over on my side, I heard a scoff and felt the pain of a kick pushing me over. Grabbing my collar I was brought close to the mystery girl's face. "You idiot! Do you have any idea how badly you've...screwed...up?" She looked at me and started to blush. I'm not sure why, but she just shook it off and dropped my head. Which hurt. A lot. "You-you're just lucky I have to take her," she gestured to Ivy. "Back to Gotham with me or I'd make your face unrecognizable." She scooped Ivy under her arm and used her whip to leave the Conservatory, leaving me behind. I slowly got up with a groan.

That girl kicks hard, I thought as I made my way to the nearest Zeta tube entrance. Flashing into the Batcave. "Hello Master Dick. To what do we owe this surprise visit?" Alfred asked as I sat at the Bat Computer. "Just doing some research Al. Nothing too big. I'll be gone by morning." I said, typing away on the keys. "Very well sir."Alfred said, leaving me in the cave.

I looked for hours for who that girl could be but I just couldn't find a single hint! I sighed as I rubbed my eyes. I hadn't had any sleep and the boys down at the station might start freaking out if their best cop has gone missing. I sighed and got out of the chair. "Ah, I'm glad I caught you." I turned to see Bruce behind me. "I have a friend coming in from Bludhaven and I was hoping I could convince you to keep an eye on her at the ball." He said, handing me an invite.

I sighed. "Sure, I've got nothing better to do." I rubbed my eyes again and yawned. "Get some sleep, Dick." Bruce put a hand on my shoulder. "Thanks Bruce, I'll see you tonight." I yawned once more and left for home through the Zeta tube.

Ruby's POV

My heels clicked on the floor as I ran up the stairs to knock on both of the boys' rooms. "Boys!" I call. "Boys, you'd better be ready! Don't make me come in there!" I adjusting my dress. "Come on! Guests are already arriving!" After finishing my rant at the boys I quickly put my hair up into a bun and ran back down the stairs. Alfred was greetings guests and dad was mingling with other high class people. I took a deep calming breath and went to the buffet table, stealing a glass of cider from a passing waiter.

My first ball as an adult and it's as boring as watching dad work on Wayne Tec. stuff. "Hey." Someone said behind me. I jolted a little but turned to see a man around my age, smiling down at me. "You must be Katharine." He said. I nodded and put out my hand for him to shake. "Kitty." I said. Being away for so long I'd forgotten about the name change. Katharine Ruby Wayne. Mom fought to keep Ruby in my name. She always wanted me to stay her little gem.