Chapter 6: T.M.I.

"Ruby?" Damian calls as I slip back into the house. Tim was passed out on the unfolded couch with Damian lying next to him. "Shhh." I whisper. It always made me sad to see the boys like this. With me coming home after midnight and Tim having the worst singing voice, Damian always has to wait for me. "You forgot your tape again didn't you?" I asked as I set my things down on my counter top. He nodded and rubbed his eyes.

He got up and hugged me, but my left side started to sting and I had to hold in a hiss. "Are you hurt?" Damian asked. I sighed. "Some prick set a trap for me and I irritated the burn from moving around so much while getting away." Daiman pulled me to sit at the bar stool. I'd changed at the bar out of the dress by Jason's persistence before he left. Currently wearing yoga pants and a tank top, I lifted my top to expose the burning scar left on me by that monster.

I flinched as Damian put a cold pack on it. "I know you always say you don't want to talk about it, but how'd you get this?" Damian asked. "It's a short story really. So trivial it hurts." I looked at him with his wide eyes. "But if you must know, I was captured by the Joker himself. He repeatedly burned this one spot till I couldn't feel the pain anymore. Then I nearly destroyed a city and the YJ team." Damian narrowed his eyes. "Is that why you didn't join the team when father asked you to?" He asked and I shook my head. "No. It's just had to join a team where you could see your ex-boyfriend at almost every day. If he's still even there that is." I hissed again as Damian fully gave me the pack.

"That shouldn't stop you from joining, and I bet if you asked, father would still accept you." Damian says, not meeting my eyes. "Let's not worry about that right now. Let's get you to bed, alright?" I asked, standing and ushering Damian to my guest room. "So, what do you want?" I asked as I tuck him under the covers and sit next to the bed. "Could you sing me that song about that one tree?" Damian asked. If he'd asked anyone else they'd probably have no idea what he was talking about, but I did. So I began to sing.

"Are you, are you, coming to the tree? They strung up a man, they say who murdered three. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be, if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where dead man called out for his love to flee. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Wear a necklace of hope, side by side with me. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? They strung up a man they say who murdered three. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where dead man called, out for his love to flee. Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree." Damain was out like a light and it made giggle. He just looked so cute and peaceful. "Goodnight my little devil." I whisper as I kiss his forehead.

Slipping out of the guest room and into my own, I changed into my pajamas and quickly fell asleep.

I was falling. I could feel the wind tousling my hair around as the world around me started to materialize. I wore a blue sundress where the straps tied around my neck and I was barefoot in a large field of orange tiger lilies. "Ruby!" A voice called out to me. "Dick?!" I called back. "Ruby!" It called again. I started to run blindly towards the voice. "Dick!" A strange kind of happiness surged through me. Hearing his voice again gave me chills. "Dick! I've finally found you!" I said as I come upon Dick. His back is to me but I know it's him. "Dick, I'm stronger now. We can finally be together again! I've forgiven you, Dick." I say with a smile.