Chapter 2: Pancakes

"Aunt Pam. Why were you so far away from Gotham?" I asked her. Of course she was still unconscious so I wasn't expecting an answer. I sighed as I left her apartment in Gotham and left for dad's house. It was about two in the morning so why not seek in and crash there? Tomorrow I would have to watch Tim and Damian while dad was doing business things anyway. I smiled to myself as I crawled in through the window. It was the Damian's room. I thought he'd be asleep by now, but he sat up when he heard the window close.

"Ruby?" Damian asked, rubbing his eyes and sitting up. I smiled as I walked over to him. "No. I'm an assassin and I'm here to take you away, FOREVER!" I said in a deep voice, hopping on his bed. "So tell me, why are you still up?" I asked, bringing Damian closer to me.

"I knew you would come early, you always do, and I can't sleep." He answered. "You want me to sing to you?" I asked him. He nodded and snuggled closer to me. I sighed and began to sing.

"Goodnight my someone, goodnight my love. Sleep tight, my someone,

sleep tight, my love. Our star is shining it's brightest light for goodnight, my love, for goodnight.

Sweet dreams be yours, dear, if dreams there be sweet dreams to carry you close to me.

"I wish they may and I wish they might now goodnight, my someone, goodnight true love can be whispered from heart to heart. Then lovers are parted they say, but I must depend on a wish and a star, as long as my heart doesn't know who you are.

"Sweet dreams be yours dear, if dreams there be sweet dreams to carry you close to me. I wish they may and I wish they might

Now goodnight, my someone, goodnight. Goodnight, Goodnight." With each ending 'goodnight' I kissed his head. He was fast asleep and holding onto me for what felt like almost dear life. Even if I'd wake up with a numb arm, I stayed with Damian and fell asleep holding him in my arms.

"Ruby! Wake up! You're hurting me!" I small voice said as I slowly opened my eyes. I looked down to see I had Damian in a headlock and I jolted awake and let go of my little brother. "Sorry, Damian." I said, getting off the bed. I stretched and yawned, noticing that I was still in my suit I sighed. "I'm going to shower and change before I make breakfast, alright?" Damian nodded and I went to my room to shower. I pushed the reverse button on my pendant and watched as costume receded into the pendant.

"Ah, that's the stuff." I moaned under the hot water. Rinsing my hair I could smell the strawberries from my shampoo mix into my hair.

When I stepped out of the bathroom, I noticed a letter on my bed. It was from dad. 'You are invited to the Wayne Masquerade Ball' it read and I scoffed at the fancy writings. "So you're finally allowing me to be seen by the press?" I muttered to myself. This would be my first social event since... Dick lived in the manor.

I quickly changed and tried to block the thoughts of Dick.

"Come on boys! I'm making my specialty today! So get down fast before I eat all of it for you!" I declared, knocking on both of the boy's doors. Then I scurried downstairs to start making my house famous, chocolate chip pancakes with my own strawberry syrup that i made with mom when she was still around. I always pretend to get angry with Tim when he puts bananas on his because that's what mom used to do. If it wasn't bananas it was something else weird.

"Good morning Ruby." Tim said, sitting at the bar. "Morning Tim." I leaned back to see Damian close behind him. "Morning Damian." I smiled and flipped the pancakes onto their plates. "Go on. Tell me how they are." They looked at each other then dug into their food. I gave a small laugh. "Alright. When you're done, let me know. I'll be in the rec. room." I grabbed a granola bar and a water bottle before I'd left.

"Bark!" Ace called, rushing to jump on me. I laughed. He was Bruce's dog but I take care of him the most. "Whoa boy." I said, pushing him off me. "I hope you haven't eaten John yet." After Lucius passed, mom got me a new cat that I named John. I named him after Dick's middle name.

I patted Ace's head and continue to walk to the rec. room.

"Alright Ruby!" Tim called. "This time I'll have you on the floor." I gave a laugh thinking about last time he said that. "Bring it on."