twenty three » record store

the air is slightly chilly and tyler shivers into his scarf, regretting his decision. his phone vibrates, most likely a text from josh, but he ignores it. it's unimportant for now.

when he reaches his destination, a small, dingy shop, his hand hesitates on the door. guilt flashes through him momentarily.

he waves it off and walks in.

inside isn't much warmer, but it's enough to make him pull his scarf off. a small bell lets off a chime as the door bangs closed, and a familiar face pops up from behind the counter.

"tyler!" she exclaims, pushing blonde hair behind her ear. "you haven't visited in a while."

he notes a second piercing in her ear, a certain tilt to her smile. she's happier. "sorry," he says, smiling guiltily. "busy, you know."

she nods knowingly. "did you find someone?"

there's a dry laugh coming from his lips. "my next door neighbor."

her lips form an o. "is she pretty?"

she.

"yes," answers tyler. "they're gorgeous."

"are you happy?"

he's about to answer her when she cuts him off.

"don't answer that. if you were, you wouldn't be here. so what's wrong?"

"nothing," he tries, but the words are false and empty. "fuck, jenna, i don't know."

there's never anyone else in the store, and she comes around the counter to pull him into a hug. "what's wrong?" she repeats softly.

he doesn't know how to answer.

-

jish: hey ty where are you?
read 2:31 pm

jish: ty?
read 2:32 pm

jish: ...are you okay?
read 2:32 pm

jish: never mind you're probably busy sorry!! i'll text you back later love you <3
read 2:33 pm

-

it's sort of stupid to worry, but tyler's always been one to reply to his texts religiously. and josh knows his texts have been read. so while he knows tyler could never do anything bad, he still feels worry eat away at him.

he tries sending another text, another 'you coming home soon?' but this one doesn't even get a 'read' tag. so tyler must be awfully busy.

josh sits down on the couch- their couch- and groans in frustration.

fucking sneaky kid. who knows where he is.

the door opens and josh springs up to get it, when- surprise, surprise. it's tyler. he looks happy and he's talking animatedly on the phone, his eyes lit up and sparkling.

"tyler?" josh asks softly, and his boyfriend freezes.

"one sec, i'll call you back," he says into the phone, and drops it into his pocket. "hey, josh."

he comes closer to give josh a kiss, but josh pushes him off. "no. explain what fucking happened today."

and why you look so goddamn happy, he almost adds but bites it back.

tyler's face scrunches up. "what are you talking about?"

"you didn't answer my texts."

it sounds stupid when he says it, but tyler's face freezes immediately. "i was- busy."

"doing what? or is that a secret?"

his face twists into one of annoyance. "i'm sorry, mom."

josh scowls at him. "i just wanted to know! it's a simple goddamn question!"

why is tyler being so fucking difficult? what the fuck?

"okay!" tyler yells. "i was with my friend, okay? that's it! nothing happened!"

"then why are you so secretive about it?"

tyler bites his lip. "i don't know."

"who's the friend?"

"her name's jenna."

ah. it's a girl. josh nods slowly. "okay. cool. jenna. --old friend?"

"you could say that."

josh hums. "ex-girlfriend?"

slowly, tyler nods.

"did... anything happen?" the words hitch in josh's throat.

"...no."

but the hesitation leaves josh wondering.