15

"Gerard?" I heard my name called from upstairs.

I ran upstairs. "Are you okay?! What happened?!"

Frank was sitting on my bed and looked at me surprised. "Nothing. I just didn't know if you were still in the house or not..."

"Oh..."

Frank looked down at Sweet Pea in his lap and pet her a few times. "That and what do you mean by 'take care of me'? I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I just don't know what you mean..." Frank continued.

"Take care of you as in care for you, protect you, make sure you're okay."

"So take care of me like a parent would."

"If you wanna think of it like that." I moved a few loose pieces of his hair behind his ear.

"What would you do?"

"I'd make sure you're happy, that you're safe, you get fed, you get clean, you have somewhere to sleep. I'll make the pain go away."

My lips were inches away from his. I wanted to touch them. I wanted them to lock with mine.

He looked into my eyes. "Gerard, I- I don't know. No ones ever cared for me."

"I won't hurt you, Frank. I would never do that to you."

"Would you love me?"

I repeated what he said in my head.

"Would I love him? Why was he asking this? Can he see I have feelings for him? Do he have feelings for me?" I thought.

"Of course I'd love you."

"But- do you love me?"

I have to tell him now. If I keep it in, I could miss this opportunity.

"Yes."

"Love me?"

I nodded. "I do, Frankie. I'm crazy about you, sweetheart. And I know you've never been in love before, but I won't hurt you. I won't use you. I'll love you. I'll hold you. You can come running to me whenever you want. You're so perfect and sweet and innocent. I'll protect you from anything."

Frank didn't say anything. Then again, he didn't have to. He moved closer to me and sat in my lap. "Is that true?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Will you take care of me, Gerard? Will you love me?"

"Always." I said and kissed his cheek.

***

He clung to me as I carried him to the abandoned house. I still don't know why he wanted to go back, he's lonely there, there's no one to sleep next to him.

"Alright Frank," I put him down where the front door should be but wasn't. "If anything -and I mean anything- happens, I want you to either call me or run to me. Okay? Do not hesitate."

"Okay." He nodded.

I pulled him into a hug. "Be safe." I kissed his forehead. I pulled away and took a deep breath.

Sweet Pea trailed into the house.

"Sweet Pea," I said. She turned her head to look at me. "You make sure nothing happens to Frank, okay? I'm putting my faith in you." She licked her lips and walked up stairs.

"You should go home and sleep."

"I don't want to sleep if you're not safe beside me."

"I'll be okay, Gerard. I've got Sweet Pea. I've got your phone. I'll be okay."

I slowly started leaning in. Frank looked nervous. I stopped myself before I got to carried away. I kissed his cheek. "Goodnight, Frank." I said and walked back to my house.