4

Frank and I talked all night from what we liked and what we didn't. He didn't have many likes and dislikes though because he's been isolated from the outside world.

He was curious when I mentioned my favorite bands to him and asked me to play them. I pulled out my phone and played a few songs for him. He ended up liking them. I even went back home to get the guitar I had. I came back into the abandoned house and played a random tune for him.

"I like the guitar." He said.

"I can teach you how to play if you'd like?"

"Would you?!" His face lit up.

I smiled.

I sat behind him, guiding his fingers to each chord. I taught him the notes and he was so happy to be learning them.

"Keep it." I said.

"You mean?- Really?!" He pointed to the guitar.

I nodded.

"Oh- thank you, Gerard! Thank you so much!" He hugged me.

For Frank never to be around people in 11 years, he really opened up to me quickly. That was good. I wanted Frank's trust. At first, I wasn't so sure about him and just wanted answers. But now- seeing how lonely he really was- he needed me here with him.

We were laying on the floor upstairs in the dark house. He laid next to me, shoulder to shoulder. We watched the sky.

"Y'know," He said, "I've never had someone in my life like you, Gerard. Then again, I have no one but you."

"Does it get lonely? Being here by yourself, I mean."

He nodded. "It does. But I knew no one would come back for me. And then you came and I was scared you were going to do what they did."

"Who?"

"The helpers."

"What did they do?"

"They were tracking me with bloodhounds and yelling for me and I swear one grabbed my leg and pulled me down but I got away. But when I saw you laying on the floor I knew you weren't like them at all."

"Why didn't you go with them?"

"Would you go with people screaming for you and following you with determined dogs tracking you?"

"I guess you're right."

"I didn't wanna leave this place. I grew up here. The only person I had to talk to was myself and Sweet Pea when she came by. She's a stray, y'know. She also doesn't have a family. Guess her and I aren't that different."

"11 years. Jesus Christ." I mumbled.

"It wasn't that bad. I'm good on my own. Only sometimes did it get a little lonely but- in the long run -it wasn't bad."

"I can't imagine."

"It also didn't help I'm an only child- or I was. I'm an orphan now."

I pulled him close to me and began to sing to him.

"Well tonight, well tonight
Will it ever come?
Spend the rest of your days rocking out
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime, in my head

Did we all fall down?
From the lights to the pavement
From the van to the floor
From backstage to the doctor
From the Earth to the morgue, morgue, morgue, morgue

Well tonight
Will it ever come?
Spend the rest of your days rocking out
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime in my head

All fall down
Well after all..."

I looked down at Frank. He was sleeping.

"I will always be you're friend. I will always be here for you. You will never be lonely again. I will protect you. I promise."

"Good night, Frank." I closed my eyes.