12

Frank was asleep, Mikey went to Pete's, and I was sitting in the living room staring out the window at the abandoned house.

There were people over there again. I knew I couldn't let Frank go back tonight. Not if those people were drunk again.

I felt very protective over Frank. He's never actually lived before. I didn't want him to get hurt.

Just then, I felt two little arms wrap around my stomach, hugging me from behind.

"I thought you were sleeping?"

"I was."

I turned around to face him.

"Then I woke up and I-I wanted to be near you..." He looked nervous.

"You did?"

He nodded. "Y-You make me feel...."

"Feel what, Frankie?"

"Feel.... happy. Like I'm not alone. And I-I want to be around you..."

I pulled him in for a hug. He hugged back. When I pulled away, I put my hand on his cheek, letting my thumb rub it.

"Can I protect you, Frank? Can I be the one you run to? Can I be the only one?"

"The only hope for me is you alone."

I smiled. "You remembered my song?"

He nodded.

I hugged him again. "Frank, I need to tell you something." I pulled away. "Frank, I-"

"Gerard, I'm home!" I heard my mom.

I pushed Frank to the far side of the couch, pushing him to the floor and telling him to stay low.

"Hi, mom. What are you doing home? I thought you had to work all day?"

"I do, I just came home for a bit. I have a break. I'm going back in a bit." She walked to the kitchen.

I pulled Frank up and I told Frank to quickly run upstairs.

"What was that?" My mom asked.

"What?"

"Did you say something?

"No."

I looked up at Frank who was standing off to the side of the stairs looking down at me. I winked at him and looked back at my mom.

"Where's Michael?"

"He's at Pete's."

"Make sure he's okay. And tell him to-"

"Mom, Mikey's not a kid anymore. He can take care of himself."

"Gerard, please? Just make sure he's okay? Make sure him and Pete aren't alone. He's at that age, you know."

"Alright."

"Well, I have to go. Stay out of trouble." She kissed my cheek.

"Bye mom."

I watched her leave.

"Frank?" I called.

I didn't get an answer. I walked up the stairs and saw him curled up against the wall. I knelt down next to him.

"Frankie?"

He sniffed.

"What's wrong?"

"For so long I've seen so many kids with people to take care of them. I saw them from the house. Parents." He began to cry. "Where are mine?!"

"Oh Frankie." I pulled him into my chest.

The sobs pushed through him as he tightened his hold on me.

"Shhh Frankie, I've got you. I'll take care of you." I moved his head to look at me. "I promise."

He leaned against me, crying quietly to himself.

I wrapped him up in my arms.

"Frankie, let me take care of you."

He looked up at me, his lip trembling.

"Okay?"

He smiled a sad, watery, teary-eyed smile. "Okay."