"What? You keep saying all this stuff about a 'new baby'. What makes you think there's a baby?"

"I know," Emory said. "The lady told me."

"Who is this lady?"

"I don't know," replied the pup gladly hopping up on the couch. My eyes narrowed. Feet did not belong on the furniture unless they were my feet. "But she tells me a lot of things. In my dreams."

"You think I won't like if there's a new baby?"

"No... I'm stronger than the baby. You don't like that."

"You won't be stronger than my baby, kid."

Emory blew out a breath, handing the remote. "If you say so."

Mentally chanting at myself to not hit the pup, I flicked the station over, turning it up loud enough to drown out any chance of conversation. But his words bothered me... What if Emory was stronger than my own child? Emory couldn't take my place in the pack. It wasn't even close to possible. I looked over at him. He was humming under his breath which was annoying me but I tried to show patience. Surely own child would test me too. And I really didn't want to treat him any differently because he wasn't mine but the fact of the matter was that it was weighing on me a lot than I wanted it to. He wasn't mine. But in a way, he was hardly Colton's. He was a product of something that I was sure Colton had wanted to forget but... Somehow he'd grown attached.

I ran a hand through my hair. What exactly was I supposed to do? I couldn't pretend to love this kid could I? It must have been the animal side of me that was willing to get rid of my mate's kin and carry on. But I couldn't do that. I had to be...better. I'd promised Colton. And I did mean to carry through on it but... Why was it so hard for me to do so? Why couldn't I just ruffle her hair like he was my pup and open my heart to him like I ought to? Because I'm an alpha wolf? Because I'm werewolf in general?

Colton may think I was heartless and that wasn't true. In fact it was our undying love, commitment and passion to our mates that made us so fiercely protective. We didn't want anything to affect our love, to damage our relationships and risk those we loved so much. And to me, Emory was a symbol of pain and damage inflicted on my poor Colton. I couldn't shake the knowledge that this was all he could never mean more to me.

So I would pretend. I'd do what I could to keep everything together until I knew for certain Colton was pregnant. Then, maybe it would be easier for me to learn to accept Emory.

I wanted too, don't get me wrong. Despite what Colton may think, due completely to the stupid, fuel raged statements I made far too early in our relationship. He was a rogue as well, unaware of what goes through my head... "Will Daddy still love me if he has a new baby?"

"Sure." I sighed.

"But...but maybe the baby will be cuter than me? You'll like it better."

I tilted my head back. "Maybe it will be but trust me: nothing can make your father stop loving you. Believe me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep."

"Are we going to do this all afternoon?"

"Do what?" asked Emory, tilting his head.

"Ask me stupid questions."

"Daddy so there are no stupid questions."

"Funny, you managed to ask them all."

Emory turned his face away, eyes turning downcast. I felt guilt pull at my heart a bit. I frowned a bit. "Fuck. I'm sorry."