Four: Undetectable Flaws

Verity tried to calm herself, but seeing Wren upset wasn't something she was used to. The little girl sat in the grass, the sun's heat beating down on them as they remained in silence. Wren's gaze stayed on the ground, almost as if she was seeing something for the first time.

"Wren?" Verity's voice echoed, and the fact she was dreaming was more surreal than even the girl in front of her. She knelt down, forcing a smile as the small girl let her eyes meet her own. "What's wrong?"

Wren huffed childishly, crossing her arms and looking away. "Everything's messy," she answered. "You were supposed to go to the party, become a Masquerader and everything would be okay."

Verity chose to let her knees fall gently on the ground as she reached out and took Wren's hands in her own. "What are you talking about, sweetheart?"

Wren's eyes flickered with a darkness that Verity had only seen the first time she met her. "People are going to die now."

Verity didn't jerk forward like any other night she dreamed of the mysterious little girl who haunted her dreams. Verity's eyes slowly opened, her eyes noting the darkness of her room and assumed it was still early morning. Verity glanced at the clock beside her bed, 4:23 a.m.

She groaned inwardly as she yanked the covers off her body and swung her legs over. She grabbed one of her cardigans and crept out of her room. Her travel to the kitchen then outdoors was silent. As soon as her feet touched the sand, she halted, choosing to admire the beauty of the ocean in early morning.

"Beautiful," Grey's husky voice broke all assumptions she was the only one who was out here. She didn't glance back to where she heard the voice, but could hear movements. "Isn't it?" He was beside her now, and Verity looked at him from the corner of her eye.

She instantly regretted it as her eyes raked over his bare chest and was grateful he had on a pair of sweats.

Verity gulped, her gaze now on the ocean. "Yeah," she managed, her mind completely blank.

She saw Grey shift and turned to look at him, meeting his already locked gaze. "What's on your mind?" He asked, his voice laced with a concern Verity learned to love.

Verity gave a reassuring smile. "Stuff."

Grey scoffed, a scowl appearing on his features. He looked away, nodding his head and placing his hands in his pockets. "You always do that."

Verity felt more of a question in his statement and she let her eyes hit the ground, unsure of what she should say. "I'll see you later," was the only thing she could muster. She turned around and made her ascend back to the beach house.

Grey was left standing there, his cold statement easily making Verity leave his side. He just couldn't figure her out.

He knew the basics. She was the kind of person who lived to make others smile, constantly seeing the positive, and always showing a humble confidence. And that was exactly what she wanted him to see.

Her act had proved believable until a few weeks ago when during a training session she had revealed a side he never knew existed. A dark side.

Grey could still remember the darkness in her eyes and blank expression when she had to complete a course engulfed in fire. She had been doing the course exceptionally perfect until she caught sight of the dummies she was supposed to rescue.

He lost the memory when a shattering sound came from the house. Grey spun around and sprinted inside, turning a corner into the kitchen until he caught sight of Verity convulsing on the ground.

Her body shook violently as Grey slid onto the ground beside her, his hands unsure of where to go. Her eyes were rolled back and Grey felt completely helpless.