One: This Never Happened

The breeze whispered against Verity's skin, the sun kissing her face as she shifted over onto her back to stretch out. She brought her hands together above her head, blades of grass tickling her palms and bare arms. Unaware of her surroundings Verity fluttered her eyes open, squinting instantly as the sunlight greeted her.

Verity propped herself up on her shoulders, glancing around the open green fields and suddenly realizing she was not in the comfort of her bed.

She quickly stood to her feet, dusting off the small fragments of the earth that had attached themselves to her pajama pants and tank top. Verity spun around, her heart hoping to find a sign of reality. Without warning, a weight sprung itself onto her back, small legs wrapping around her waist and little arms playfully crossing around her neck.

"Piggy back ride!" A small squeal proclaimed, and Verity swayed caught off guard by the little girl who had randomly appeared. Before Verity could claim back her balance, she fell to her knees and her arms bracing the ground, the little girl's weight bounced then the burden lifted off her back.

Two small feet appeared before her line of sight, Verity's hair blocking the rest of the girl's body. "I don't think you understand the concept of piggy back rides." The little girl's voice sounded. Verity looked up, meeting the curly haired brunette that stood no more than about four feet. Her piercing green eyes sparkled curiously as Verity stood back up to her feet. "I'm Wren," the little girl smiled, taking the ends of her blue dress and doing a small curtsy. Her shiny black shoes and white socks only adding to her childish appearance.

Verity blinked unsure if this dream was the cause of her cup of coffee and watching of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before bed. The little girl shifted on her feet, tilting her head to the side.

"Please say something," Wren spoke innocently, and her eyes immediately fell to the ground in disappointment of Verity's silence.

The need to comfort the girl rose in Verity's heart, but the caution to also fear the girl raged inside of her unknowingly. "I'm Verity." She bent down, placing her hands on her knees so she was eye level with the girl, meeting her gaze and smiling. "It's nice to meet you Wren,"

The girl smiled, pleased. "Wanna play a game?" She asked, taking a step back and letting a sneaky expression cross her face.

Verity straightened up, "What kind of game?" She asked, the corners of her mouth still forming a smile.

"Mother says I'm not allowed to play this game with just anyone." Wren assured Verity, her eyes flickering a hint of secrecy. "She says I'm only allowed to play the game with the Elitess,"

Verity thought over the word that sounded vaguely familiar. "The Elitess?" She asked in a curious tone.

Wren nodded, "The Masquerader."

Wren's answer broke down the innocence she held, and Verity took a step back, well aware of who and what the Masqueraders were. Wren took a step towards her, her smile still dancing on her small features. "I'm not a Masquerader, Wren." Verity spoke understandingly to the small girl, but the firmness in her tone was obvious.

Wren wasn't fazed by her answer but instead shrugged her shoulders, "Not yet,"

Verity sat up immediately, strands of her chocolate hair caked to her face from the light sweat that assaulted her. Her breathing was heavy as she took in her surroundings, the lavender painted walls, the cream dressers, the white curtains that allowed rays of sunlight to pour into the room.

Verity glanced at the nightstand not far from her which read 10:47 a.m. She let herself fall back onto the cushioned pillow and inhaled deeply. That same dream had haunted Verity for the last six months following her abduction by Annabelle.