Hail Princess Bambi

Start from the beginning

     "Randie asleep?" He asks, looking up from his phone.

     "Yeah," I answer softly. "Thank you, she really loved that you braided her hair. I must say that I was pretty impressed."

     A slight smirk falls on his lips as he pulls his hair back. "Well, I have plenty of experience."

     "You're really good with kids," I add. "You don't have any siblings?"

     He pulls out the stool next to him and pats the seat, telling me to sit. I do as he says, and lean my elbow on the counter.

     "No brothers, no sisters. Sorry-- are you cold? I can turn on the heat." He steps off of his stool, and walks across the kitchen.

     "It's fine, really," I say, but he proceeds.

     "No, I'm turning on the heat. It is a bit chilly. Hey, did I show you the sunroom?" He doesn't pause to let me answer, but motions for me to follow him. We exit the kitchen, and he pulls back a sliding door, exposing a room of nothing but windows. A couch sits against the wall, with a small table in front, and there's a chair in the opposite corners.  I can see his backyard; a decent size with thick woods in the back. A pergola is right outside the house, placed on stone. White Christmas lights eluminate the area, and I see a fire pit in the middle of the pergola.

     "This is beautiful," I say in awe.

     "Yeah," he breathes in agreement. "Sometimes I like to sit out there and write with the fire going. It's great for gatherings, too, my friend Louis loves it."

     "You write?" I ask, rubbing my arms as as I feel the heat kick on.

     "Oh, just in a journal. Enough about me, though, what are five of your favorite things?" His grin says that he knows his question caught me off-guard, and he chuckles as I blink in surprise.

     We walk back into the living room, and sit on opposite ends of the couch. I push some hair behind my ear as I contemplate my answer.

     "My favorite things. . . Randie, music, warmth, Christmas, and. . ."

     Aiden, my mind tells me, but I cant make myself say it. He's gone, I have to remind myself.

     ". . .Letters. I like writing and receiving letters."

     Harry smiles softly, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. "Good answer."

     I find myself gazing at the tattoos etched onto his body, completely fascinated. A small cross is inked onto his hand, and his arms are just covered in little illustrations. An anchor on his left wrist, a rose on his arm. On his bicep was tattooed a ship, along with a heart and some nails. Everywhere I look, there's another tattoo to be seen.

     "Isis?"

     I'm pulled from my daze, and realize I've been staring at Harry, and his green eyes are staring right back. For the first time in months, I blush in embarrassment.

     "I'm sorry, I'm just so out of it right now." I shake my head, trying to wake myself up.

     "It's fine," he chuckles lowly, "I was just asking if you'd like some tea."

     "Thank you, but I should get to bed. It's been a long day." I stand up, and Harry does the same, running fingers through his hair.

     He smiled and nods, gesturing for me to lead the way upstairs. The carpet is soft on my feet, and the house has warmed up a significant amount. I stand in the hallway and hope that Randie and I don't get too comfortable here.