Chapter 18

Naruto was watching out for any threats as a bodyguard of the Kazekage whilst he watched his students communicate with the Konoha shinobis. The second round of the match had ended up being that there were not enough genins that passed the test so they allowed everyone to try the third round, survival. If those that did not pass the second round, they would have to battle it out with each other after finishing the survival test to see which one of them is the most capable. They were travelling in a very big mob but there are two Kages, 6 jonins, 6 anbus and an SS-ranked bingo book ninja Uzumaki Namikaze Naruto. Naruto has a flee-on-sight order as most people who has had the bad luck to cross paths with him have never lived to tell the tale.
It was almost lunch time when they decided to settle down for an hour to rest. Naruto was leaning against the tree looking at nothing in particular but he was well aware of his surroundings while he communicates with Kurama. Naruto had sensed that the dangerous forest animals have been moving away from their paths to avoid coming into contact with them. Naruto could only guess that it was because of his statues as the successor of the great Lord of the demons, the most powerful entity being in the entire universe. Then it wouldn't be right that he goes hunting and kill off the animals. It just makes him cringe at the thought. They respect him so much, he can't just eat them! Maybe I should become a vegetarian. Naruto thought, making the mighty fox in him to bark in laughter. They prepared some stew and was getting ready to eat when a rustle of leaves made them all stop, Naruto just eyed the leaves that rustled, ready for action.
Something jumped out and straight towards Naruto. Naruto was about to move out of the way when he noticed what it was. A small red fox had jumped out and straight into Naruto's lap. The poor little fox was shaking in fright with an injured leg. Naruto stroked its fur as he healed the fox who suddenly whimpered and hid further into Naruto's lap, trying to make itself invisible. You're smart. You know who to look for huh. Naruto thought as everyone turned towards the menacing growl that emitted from where the little fox had burst out. A big furry animal emerged from the bush. No one knew what to do as the animal stared at Naruto and the little fox in his lap. Naruto, to their surprise, just leveled his gaze at the animal who stopped growling and started to lower its head and back away before it tried to shrink itself by laying flat against the ground. "What the hell is going on?" Tsunade asked Gaara who stared in curiously and shrugged to signal that he doesn't know. Naruto sighed and stood up, he was gonna give the fox to his team but the fox protested so he placed it on his head. The fox clung into his head and got itself comfortable. Naruto then walked to the bigger animal and kneeled down in front of it. Nobody dared to talk, in fear the animal would lash out at the closest person which is Naruto. Naruto reached out slowly and patted it's head before he stood up and walked into the forest with the animal in toll. Naruto then came back awhile later after the group of ninjas had finally recovered and started eating. The animal trailed behind him. "Stop following me." Naruto ordered but the animal just looked up at him with pleading eyes. Naruto sighed in defeat. I don't want you to be hunted. Naruto thought to the animal and it just looked at Naruto before backing into the forest. Naruto went back to his tree to sit. "SENSEI!" Katsu yelled before rushing to him with a bowl of stew. "Do you want some?" Katsu asked, Naruto looked up and saw that Katsu had his 'I wouldn't take a no for an answer' look. Naruto raised a palm to receive the bowl from Katsu. He grinned, they can't stand it when their sensei don't eat. It annoys them that their sensei would skip meals. "Yasssss! One point for me!!" Katsu screamed as he jumped to turn around to face his teammates and held out his index finger to prove his enthusiasm.
"Why you! I'll get you for this!" Akara almost growled. A soft clearing of the throat can be heard from behind the two arguing boys. Hakura stood there with her hand on her hip that was leaning towards one side, she has a smug look on her face that indicated she might be the winner of whatever they were competing about. "Actually, I'm still leading by 20 points." With that the two male Suna genins, sighed in defeat and hung their heads. "What are you guys talking about?" Lee asked.
"They are having a competition of who can get Naruto to eat. Hakura has 50 points. Katsu and Akara both has 30 points." Temari explained, amused at the Suna team's antics.  They heard a quiet yelp of delight from Naruto's direction. Their heads all turned simultaneously and saw Naruto feeding the fox and not himself. The fox was wagging its tail in delight. Why does that fox look so familiar? Naruto heard Kurama pondering out loud. Naruto turned to look at the other ninjas when he felt their gaze on him. The fox whimpered at Naruto's attention not being on it. He mentally sighed as he turned back to the fox and continued feeding it. The fox yelped again when Naruto stopped feeding it. "No. No more for you. You've eaten more than enough for a small fox your size." Naruto said before sticking a spoon of stew into his mouth. The rest who were gawking at first had now resorted to sitting around to watch.
Kurama appeared and eyed the small fox. The fox made a noise of delight before jumping onto Kurama. Naruto looked up to look at the actions of the small fox. Kurama held the fox at an arms length to examine it. "Wait... Kurama, hold up its tail for me." Naruto said as Kurama kneeled too that they are at the same height and begin examining the fox who was enjoying the attention. Naruto ran his fingers along its body, feeling some bumps that felt faintly like a scar and then he ran his hands along the tail also feeling the same feelings of scar bumps as before. Naruto then lifted one of its paws and saw a distinctive heart shaped scar. "It's you!" Naruto and Kurama said in realisation. "Who?" Temari asked.
"I saved a tiny fox awhile back from when I was still in Konoha but my house burned down so I assumed this kit died in the house fire. I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it." Naruto said as Kurama brought it into the forest to play before he dispelled and the fox ran back to Naruto who was trying to get some rest.