Chapter 7

After running into Fairy Godmother, almost getting expelled again, and having to run off right in the middle of all the fun, Mal, Evie, Jay, Carlos, Marshmallow, Dude, and I all sat at a picnic table in silence.

If Audrey hadn't made her grandmother think Mal was Maleficent, then we wouldn't be in this mess, and everyone would still think that we were becoming decent people!

Ben walked over to us, putting his hands on Mal's shoulders.  "Hey, guys.  Just let it go, it'll all be okay."  He leaned down to whisper in Mal's ear, "I have to go."

Right after Ben left, Doug came up with his jacket slung over his shoulder.  "Listen, Evie, I wa-."

"Doug?"  Chad cut him off from a table over.

"Doug, I'm so sorry."  Evie tried, but Chad cut her off, too.

"Doug."  He said, more demanding.

"Doug?"  Evie whispered, but Doug shook his head.  I never like that Doug could be ordered around like a puppy, him never having the courage to stand up for himself.

"I'm sorry, I can't"  He said and sat at the same table Chad and his group of friends were at.

I reached down to pick up Marshmallow and put her on my lap. After I did that, no one moved or spoke until Audrey and Jane walked up to our picnic table.

"How long does she think that's gonna last?"  Audrey asked, leading Jane from one side of Mal to the other.  "Mal's just the 'bad girl infatuation'."

"Yeah," Jane laughed, "I mean, he's never gonna make a villain, a queen."

Jane and Audrey laughed and walked over to their group of friends.

Mal opened her book and found the spell she was looking for.  "Beware, forswear, undo Jane's hair."

My head shot up to see Jane's hair return to the bob cut it was before.  She shrieked and we all stood up.

"There's a lot more where that came from."  I said, sending a glare their way.

"Excuse me, who do you think you are?"  Audrey asked, laughing a little at the end.  I had never been so irritated with someone.  I wanted to slap the smirk off her face, along with the pounds of makeup she caked on this morning.  Carlos felt the change in my demeanor, and grabbed my hand to keep me from perusing my wishes.

"Do we look like we're kidding?"  Mal asked, a wild look in her eyes.  No one really believed her, so she whipped open her book and pretending to find a spell.  That made everyone scurry off like mice.

Mal whipped around to face the rest of us.  "I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.  Let's grab that wand and blow this Popsicle stand."  Evie, Jay, Carlos, and I followed Mal back to the carriage.  No one spoke the whole way back to my mother's castle.

*~*~*

The five of us sat in the screening room, watching some stupid reality TV show.  I sat with my legs thrown over Carlos' and Marshmallow on my lap, Dude was on my shins and Carlos' arm was resting over my legs just above my knees, Evie on my left, Mal on the other side of Carlos, and Jay on the other side of Evie.

We sat staring at the screen, keeping our thoughts to ourselves.  Soon, Dude and Marshmallow started snoring, and I lightly picked up Marshmallow and took her to her play room.  I walked up the stairs to the foyer, then down the hallway to the play room.  I set her in her pen and turned around right into Carlos.