Chapter 25: A Date with Harr--Josh

Ange and Josh were going to the seven-thirty movie and had agreed to meet at the theatre at seven-fifteen. At seven, Eleanor gathered Michael and Mr. and Mrs. Braderman in the living room.

"Get ready!" she cried. Then she called up stairs, "Okay, Ange, make your entrance!"

Ange walked slowly the staircase.

"Here she is, folks," El continued, "wearing designer jeans, a baggy pink, very chic sweat shirt borrowed from her sister, and new shoes purchased just this afternoon. Her hair is by El (that's me), and so is her makeup. May I present to you, Angelica Braderman!"

Michael and Mrs. Braderman clapped entusiastically, and Ange's father let out a low whistle.

"Honey, you look absolutely lovely," said her mother.

"Thanks," replied Ange. "I hope Josh thinks so."

"If he doesn't, then he's a jerk," said Michael.

"Shall we go?" asked Mrs. Braderman. "You don't want to be late."

"Okay," agreed Ange. "And El--thanks for all your help."

Eleanor smiled. "Any time."

"I promise to bring your sweat shirt back in mint condition."

When Mrs. Braderman pulled up in front of the theatre, Ange whispered urgently, "There he is... Oh, he sees us. He's coming over. Just stay in the car, Mom. I'll introduce you to him and then you drive off, okay? Don't get out or anything."

"All right." Mrs. Braderman smiled.

"Promise?"

"Promise. Just remember to find out if he needs a ride home."

In a moment, Josh's round face was looking uncertainly into the Braderman's car. Ange rolled the window down. "Hi," she said. "Josh this is my mom. Mom, this is Josh Devine."

"Hi Josh," Mrs. Braderman said warmly.

"Josh do you want a ride home after the show? My mom can drop you off."

"Oh, sure. That would be great."

"What time should I pick you up?" asked Ange's mother.

"How about ten o'clock?"

"Ten o'clock!" cried Ange.

"Yeah. I thought we'd get something to eat after the movie. We could go to Nando's."

Ange looked at her mother.

"That's fine," said Mrs. Braderman. "I'll see you there. Have fun!"

Slowly Ange got out of the car. She had almost hoped her mother would say no to Nando's.

She and Josh walked to the ticket window, and Ange pulled out a five-dollar bill.

"Oh, no. 'I’ll buy your ticket," said Josh, pushing a ten-dollar bill toward ticket-taker.

"No, thanks," said Ange quickly. "I'll buy my own." Somehow, it had seemed all right for Harry to treat Ange every now and then, but she didn't feel comfortable with the idea of Josh treating her.

"What'll it be?" the woman in the ticket booth asked Josh. "One or two?"

"Two," said Josh.

"One," said Ange "Really.. You know, women's lib and all that."

"Okay," said Josh. "One." He turned to Ange. "But I'll buy the popcorn."

Ange smiled and gave in. "All right."

She and Josh found seats in the theatre, and Josh draped his jacket over the seat next to Ange while he went to the lobby for popcorn. The previews were just starting when he returned. He sat down and balanced the popcorn on the armrest between himself and Ange.

Ange ate a handful, and then concentrated on the screen. It went black for a moment, and then tiny white letters appeared in the middle and loomed larger and larger. When Ange could read them, she realized they were the title of an upcoming movie: This Is Us. More tiny letters appeared then the title and slowly blew up.

Ange caught her breath.

The new words read simply: "Starring Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson." And under them: "Coming Soon."

Ange's heart began to pound. She stiffened, staring rigidly at the screen. The black background faded to a scene in a stage. The camera was behind five dark figures, and only their backs were visible. Slowly it circled to the front of the stage. It zoomed in on each of the boys and stopped at one particular boy--Harry Styles.

His face filled the screen, looking gorgeous and serious, just as Ange remembered it.

She wanted to die. She wondered if Josh could tell that she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. But Josh stared placidly ahead.

Later, Ange remembered little of the movie they saw. Josh had apparently enjoyed it. At any rate, he laughed all the way through. And when he and Ange went to Nando's later, he re-enacted most of it for her. Ange was grateful. It meant she didn't have to talk much.

When they left Nando's at ten o'clock, Mrs. Braderman was waiting. She followed Josh's directions to his house. "Ange?" said Josh as he got out of the car.

"Yes?"

"Do you want to go out again next Friday?"

Ange paused. Josh was nice. He was considerate. But he wasn't Harry. On the other hand, Harry might as well not exist.

"Sure," Ange replied. "Thanks. See you Monday?"

"See you Monday."

The date was over.

Ange decided that she felt like an old shoe.

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

This Chapter is dedicated to Jade Anderson. May she rest in peace. And also to my Mum whose birthday is today! I’m sorry if there are any mistakes because I was drunk while writing this. Aha! Anyways, I hope you guys like this chapter! Don’t forget to vote/comment/share!

Until the next chapter! Massive Thank You To All My Lovely Readers!

~xoxo Ronette