Chapter 3: The Crush

Ange and Ronnie stayed on the beach until long after what Ange thought of as "prime time". By 5 o'clock, when the sun was growing weaker and people were starting to gather their sandy possessions and head for their houses, Ronnie stood up. "Ange, I've got to go," she said. "I need a shower. I smell like seaweed. Mom and everyone left half an hour ago."

Ange barely heard her. She was scanning the beach for the gorgeous boy Michael had smashed with the Frisbee. She'd been watching hopefully for him all day.

"Ange?" said Ronnie.

"What?"

"Earth to Ange. Earth to Ange. Come in, Ange. Over." 

Ange giggled. "Sorry.What did you say?"

Ronnie sighed. "I feel like a broken record. Ever since you saw that boy, I've had to repeat everything I say to you. I said I'm going back to the house now. It's late. Aren't you coming?"

"I guess." Ange rose reluctantly and shook out her towel. She threw her Agatha Christie book and her tape player into her beach bag and ambled toward Moonrise, dragging along behind Ronnie.

"He probably hasn't spent much time on Fire Island," Ange commented as they passed Bedside Manor.

"What?" said Ronnie. "Who hasn't?"

"That boy. Everyone in Davis Park knows what Bedside Manor is."

"Well, maybe he just hasn't been to Davis Park before."

"Nope," said Ange. "He hasn't been on the beach this summer. Did you notice his skin? It hasn't seen the light of day in weeks."

"Detective Ange," said Ronnie. "I think you've been reading too many mysteries."

Ange smiled. "Well, it pays off. I mean, already I know two things about him. One, he's new here, and two, he's just beginning his vacation."

"What do you mean, 'already'?"

"Hmm," replied Ange. "I'm not sure."

Ronnie looked at Ange over her shoulder. "You're acting weird."

"You know. Michael said the same thing to me just yesterday."

"You're hopeless."

"Hopeless, too? Weird and hopeless. That doesn't sound very promising."

Ronnie giggled. "Want to get ice cream after dinner?"

"Are you kidding? A scoop of cookies 'n' cream contains sugar, fat, and most important, chocolate. All the right ingredients. Of course I want to get ice cream."

"Good. Come over after dinner."

"Okay. See you."

"See you." The girls separated at the walk to Moonrise House.