Chapter 21: High School Humiliation

It was impossible for Ange to keep her secret a secret. By the end of school the next day, it seemed as if the whole world knew about One Direction's Harry Styles and Angelica Braderman.

Things started in the cafeteria at lunchtime. Ange, brooding, was just settling down at a table with Perrie and two other girls, Jannelle and Louise, when El ran over to them, waving a copy of People.

Ange realized what was coming. She wished she were an ostrich so she could bury her head in the sand.

"Ange! Ange!" shouted El, "Have you seen this? Have you seen this? It's Harry. Your Harry! The guy everyone's talking about is Harry Styles!"

Ange nodded slowly. "I know." (Why couldn't El have confronted her at home?)

"You know?" El repeated. She pulled up a chair and sat down with Ange and her friends. Ange figured that El must be out of her mind with excitement. That was the only way to explain a junior voluntarily sitting at a table with a bunch of freshmen. "You mean last month you knew about this and kept it quiet?" El regarded ANge with a look that was annoyance mingled with surprise respect.

"What?" asked Perrie. "What about Harry Styles... Ange?"

"Yeah... what?" echoed Jannelle and Louise.

"Ange met this guy on Fire Island over the summer. They went out for an entire month , " El explained.

"You did?" Jannelle and Louise's eyes grew as wide as saucers.

Perrie's practically dropped out of their sockets. "The guy you told me about is Harry Styles? Oh, wow-- your Harry is this Harry!"

Ange slid a fraction of an inch further down her seat. She nodded miserably.

"And you knew?" El asked again.

Ange didn't know what to say. She didn't want to lie, but she felt foolish admitting that, in fact, she was as surprised as El and her friends were. Her astonishment at Harry slowly mixing with anger. He had humiliated her.

Suddenly Ange stood up. She had decided that she didn't have to answer any questions. "I don't feel like discussing it," was all she said. Leaving her uneaten lunch behind, she stalked out of the cafeteria.