Chapter 5: Lonely Harry

The next day, Ange saw the boy two more times. The first time was early in the morning. Mrs. Braderman had sent Ange to the Harbor Store to buy the New York Times. When Ange came out, carrying the paper gingerly so as not to get newsprint on her bathing suit, she noticed that the ferry had arrived from Patchoque. She paused to see who was coming over to the island so early on a weekday morning. Tat was when she saw him. He was waiting patiently at the end of the dock. Presently a middles-aged man with curly gray hair stepped off the ferry. He saw the boy immediately and held his arms wide open for a hug.

The second time she saw him was late in the afternoon. The tide was out, and he was clamming on the bay side of the island. "All alone again," Ange remarked to Ronnie that evening.

The next day, Thursday, Ange spotted him leaving the Harbor Store. "Still alone. I think it's so sad. And beautiful."

Ronnie raised her eyebrows. "Beautiful?"

"he must be very lonely, but he always seems so...... serene. That's it. He seems serene. Like he's at peace with himself."

"Ange, he's not dying."

"Well, you know what I mean. But he's kind of mysterious, too. And I'll tell you something. Before we leave the island this summer, I am going to get to know him. I, Angelica Braderman, will crack that shell he's hiding in and get to know the beautiful, secretive soul inside."

"Bonkers," was all Ronnie would say. "Stark, raving mad."