Chapter 20: Heart-breaking News

(A/N): FINALLY! Here's Chapter 20! Again, I am so sorry for taking too long to update. But I hope you're still interested in the story! So without further delay, here is Chapter 20: Heartbreaking News! 

The next day, Wednesday, Ange was in a daze because of what she'd done the night before. She'd called a boy-- a popular boy -- and asked him to go to the movies with her, and he's said yes. Just like that.

Perrie nearly killed Ange because no chase had been involved. No chase whatsoever. But Ange pointed out that her mind certainly had been taken off of Harry. Perrie had to agree.

After school that day, Mrs. Braderman drove downtown to do some errands, and Ange and El went with her. While their mother was in the lingerie shop, the girls browsed through a magazines store. El immediately headed for the beauty magazines, while Ange checked out the tabloids (or "rags," as Ronnie called them). She looked them over eagerly. "Live Alien Found in Cow's Stomach," she read. "Baffled vet thought cow was pregnant." She glanced another. "Possessed Car Drives Owner to New Jersey."

Ange smiled. Then she turned away from the tabloids. She knew the real reason she had wanted to go in the store, and it was time to do something about it.

Ange found the shelf with the current issues of the most popular magazines on it, and scanned it for People, as well as for the new issue of BOP magazine, while she hoped would be the Fall issue. She found the BOP magazine first. Bold red letters on a banner across the front of the magazine assured her that it was, in fact, the Fall issue. Ange picked it up without bothering to look inside, and continued her search for People. She couldn't find it anywhere.

"Can I help you, miss?" someone asked.

Ange turned to find a store clerk at her elbow. "I'm looking for People magazine," she said. "The newest one. I was sure it would be here somewhere."

"It is. It's been going like hotcakes, though. Has that new boy band on the front-- what's-his-name. One some-thing. Ed's bringing another load in from the back. If you'll wait just-- Oh, here he is now."

A young red-head boy was struggling toward the front of the store, staggering under a huge stack of bundles of magazines.

"Got a new People in there for the little lady?" the store clerk asked the boy.

Ed dropped his load ungracefully at Ange's feet. "Sure," he replied. He looked through the bundles, selected one, untied the strings that bound it, pulled out a magazine, and handed it to Ange.

It was backside up. Ange closed her eyes and turned it over.

She opened her eyes.

Harry smiled up at her from the cover, along with 4 other gorgeous lads.

It really was Harry. No question about it. Ange could do nothing but stare down at his handsome face.

"Everything all right?" she heard Ed ask.

Ange was unable to answer him.

The clerk shook his head and shot a knowing look at Ed. "Crazy teenager," he muttered.

Ed grinned and went to work untying the rest of the bundles.

Still, Ange could not move. She held the BOP magazine in one hand and People in the other and stared down at Harry Styles.

"You want to buy those," the clerk asked, "or just stand there and stare at 'em?"

Ange snapped back to reality. She realized that the clerk was losing patience with her and hoped that El hasn't noticed. But El was across the store, looking at fashion magazines.