Chapter 15: Family Invitation

Labor Day weekend arrived. Ange's father showed up on Wednesday night. "For the final fling of the summer," he said.

Ange felt happy and sad at the same time, although she had to admit that the feelings of sadness were greater than the feelings of happiness. Late Thursday afternoon she stood on her front deck and looked around, realizing that the leaves on the shrubs and trees were already beginning to turn slightly. And one bush, almost overnight, had become a fiery ball of red. In the distance, though, she could hear the ocean, and was comforting because it was a summer sound.

Ange sat on the railing and did some fast calculating. Basically, there were four nights and three days left to her summer. Monday didn't count because it would be spent packing up, putting the house in order, and leaving the island. If the Bradermans returned for any September weekends, they would bring only overnight clothing with them.

There were a lot of things Ange wanted to do for the "last" time before Monday. Some she wanted to do with her family, some with Ronnie, and some with Harry. She didn't think she would have time for everything.

Michael ran up the walk to Moonrise, interrupting Ange's thoughts. He plopped down on a beach chair and smirked at his sister.

"Hey squirt," said Ange. "What are you looking smug about?"

"Da dum de-dum." Michael hummed to the tune to "The Wedding March." "Your boyfriend's on the way over."

Ange brightened, overlooking Michael's humming. "He is?"

"Yup, I jut passed him. He said he was coming over here. He's never done that before."

"He's shy," Ange replied. "I think."

"Who's shy?" called Ronnie's voice from her deck. "Are you guys gossiping? I'll be right over."

Uh-oh, though Ange. Ronnie will have to face Harry.

Sure enough, Ronnie had no sooner settled herself on the railing next to Ange then Harry strode up the walk, looking nervous but determined. "Hi, everybody!" he called.

"Well, I guess I'll be going," said Ronnie.

"No, wait," said Harry uncomfortably. "I wanted to know if you-- all of you-- would like to come down the beach and play volleyball. There's a really good game going on right in front of my house, but they could use some more players."

"Hey, that would be fun!"said Ange.

"Yeah!" agreed Michael.

"I don't know," said Ronnie. "I'm not very good at volleyball."

"It doesn't matter. Nobody there is," Harry assured her. "They're just having fun."

"I'll go get Austin," said Michael. "He'll want to play, too."

"So are you coming?" Ange asked Ronnie.

"Sure," she replied. "Why not?"

They played for over an hour, Ange, Ronnie, and Austin joining one team, Michael and Harry joining the other. It wasn't a very serious game, everyone laughing and making mistakes. Twice, Ange found herself cheering for the other team when Harry made a good play.

After it was over, they flopped down on the sand. Ange could tell Michael liked Harry. Michael would have appreciated a big brother, she thought.

Ange could also see Ronnie warming up to Harry. Ronnie agreed to that later as she and Ange were walking along the beach to their houses, Michael and Austin traling behind.

"He's not half bad," said Ronnie.

"Is that the best you can do?" teased Ange.

"Oh, all right, he's nice. Realy nice. And funny. I can see why you like him."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Soyou don't think I'm bonkers anymore?"

"Nah... Cuckoo, yes. Deluded, yes. But not bonkers. NO way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Friday, Ange and Harry walked to Watch Hill one last time and later went clamming on last time. On Saturday, the weather reports began predicting stormy weather for Sunday and Monday, so Saturday was Ange's Ronnie Day-- one last day baking on the beach. They ate both breakfast and lunch in the dunes.

"How about a seafood cookout tonight?" Mrs.Braderman asked Ange that afternoon. "We could send to the mainland for lobsters and fish and have a picnic supper tonight. You should ask Harry to join us."

"Really?" cried Ange. "Oh, Mom, that would be fantastic!"

"Okay. Want to come, Ronnie?"

"No, thanks. I'll bake. See you later."

Ange ran along the water's edge. When she reached Harry's stretch of the beach, she was sweaty and out of breath. She scanned the beach for him, then looked at his house. SHe saw him sunning on one of the decks and ran a bit closer.

"Harry! Hey, Harry!" she shouted.

Harry sat up and shaded his eyes. "Ange?" he called.

She waved. "Yeah, it's me. I'm down here. Want to come over for dinner tonight? We're going to have a seafood cookout. My mom asked i you could come."

"Well.... sure. Thanks!"

"Great. 7 o'clock, okay?"

"Okay. See you then. Bye!"