Chapter 2: Meeting HIM

Ronnie had been right. The weather cleared, and the next morning Ange woke to the sound of sea gulls crying and birds rustling the shruberry outside her bedroom window. That was another thing she liked about Davis Park. It wasn't barren and open like most beach areas. It was lush and green. Trees and shrubs grew everywhere. When she was in the center of the island, Ange could almost imagine that she was lost in a large forest--except for the sound of waves breaking not far away. And she really did feel far from civilization. Davis Park had a restaurant on the beach, a tiny post office, fire-station, police station, and a general store and ice-cream stand by the docks on the bay side, but that was it. No shops, no movie theaters. Cars weren't even allowed on that part of the island. There were no roads for them. People pulled red wagons along the boardwalks instead.

Ange streched luxuriously and pushed aside the window shade to get a look outside. She saw a sparkling blue sky and bright sunshine.

Across the room, El moaned and rolled over. "Put the shade back," she mumbled.

"But El, it's a beautiful day. Come on, get up. Let's go to the beach right now. We can spend the whole day there."

"In a minute."

Ange knew that El's "in a minute" could mean anywhere from 30seconds to several hours. She changed into her bathing suit and tiptoed into the living room, where she discovered that she was the only one up. She didn't care. She like having the early morning hours to herself. Ange made a cup of tea and took it out to the front deck. She was about to sit down with it when Ronnie wandered onto her deck next door. Ange waved. Ronnie waved back and ran down Starfish's walk and up Moonrise's.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hi. Let's eat breakfast on the beach and spend the whole day there."

"Good idea."

Ange drank her tea quickly, and she and Lacey gathered their things and set out for the beach.

Ange enjoyed early morning on the beach. It wasn't deserted-- she saw several joggers, two people walking their dogs, a woman with a baby on her back ,and two mean and a woman fishing-- but it was quieter than that any other time of the day.

She and Ronnie spread out their towels and dug into breakfast of doughnuts and orange juice. Two hours later Michael and Mrs. Braderman joined them. A half an hour after that, El struggled down to the beach.

"Let's play Frisbee," Michael suggested.

Okay,"  agreed Ange. "Com on, Ron"

Ange,Ronnie, Michael, and Austin ran to the water's edge. Michael let the Frisbee fly, and--crack!--it struck a boy full in the face.

Ange gasped. "Michael, you klutz!"

She ran to the boy, who was holding his hands over his nose. "Are you all right?" she asked him. "I'm really sorry. My brother did't mean to hit you. Sometimes he doesn't aim too well."

Michael kicked Ange's ankle and she made a face at him. 

The boy, who was about Ange's age, took his hands from his nose and blinked at Ange, Michael,Ronnie and Austin, who had crowded around him. "I think I'll live," he said pleasantly. "It wasn't travelling very fast."

"Are you sure?" asked Ange. "We could walk you over to Bedside Manor."

"Bedside Manor?"

"You know, the doctor's."

"Oh, no. I'm fine. Really."

Ange looked at the boy's face. It seemed all right--no bump or bruise. In fact, it seemed better than all right. Ange suddenly decided it was the most gorgeous face she'd ever seen. Wide-set green eyes looked back at her from under a mop of dark curls. And a grin that lit up his entire face, showing his amazing dimples.

"Well, I better be going,"said the boy. "See you." He smiled, showing his beautiful dimples once again, he then waved, and began walking away.

"Wait!" cried Ange.

The boy turned around. "What?"

"It's........ nothing. See you," replied Ange.

The boy waved again and walked on.

Michael and Austin ran into the ocean, the Frisbee forgotten.

Ange turned to Ronnie. "I think I'm in love," she said.