Chapter 22: Friendly Advice

Ange did her best to avoid her sister and friends in school that afternoon. She knew she owed Perrie and Eleanor, at least, some sort of explanation, but she couldn't face them. Not yet.

The first thing Ange did when she got home was ask permission to lock herself in her parents' room and phone Ronnie, something she should have done the previous afternoon when she tried to call her. She warned her mother that it might be a long call and said that she would pay for it when the bill came. Mrs. Braderman, seeing that Ange was upset, immediately gave her permission and didn't ask any questions.

Ange settled herself on her parents' bed. She checked her watch. There was a good change Ronnie wasn't back from school yet. She usually took the subway home, and, since Ange had been on the subway herself several times, she was surprised Ronnie ever made it home at all, let alone late.

But she dialled the Reeders' number anyway.

Someone picked up after the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hello... Ronnie?" Ange found it hard to tell Ronnie and Danielle apart over the phone.

"Yes... Ange?"

"Yeah, it's me. I'm so glad you're home. I really didn't think you would be."

"Ange, I raced home today. I mean, I took a taxi from school just to get home as fast as possible." Ronnie's voice sounded breathless and excited.

"You did? Why?" asked Ange. "What's up?"

"What's up? Are you kidding? Have you seen People magazine?"

"Oh... Yes. That's why I'm--"

"Can you believe it?! Harry was famous, or almost famous and he never let on.. did he? Did he tell you?"

"No."

There was a pause.

"Ange?" asked Ronnie. "What's wrong? Something's wrong. I can tell."

"Well, I'm mad, that's what's wrong. This is so humiliating. I feel like a fool. Everyone is running around waving copies of People in my face and being impressed that I went out with Harry Styles, and then I have to admit that I didn't know he was a big star--or going to be a big star-- either. Why would he keep that from me?"

"You mean," said Ronnie after a moment, "you really didn't know about any of this?"

"Not a word. If I did, I would have told you. I tell you everything... Why do you think he did this?"

"I don't know. But you know what I think you should do?"

"What?"

"Call him and ask him point blank."

"I can't."

"Sure you can. You're Angelica Braderman. You're not afraid of things like--"

"It's not that," Ange interrupted Ronnie. "I don't have his phone numbers or addresses. He didn't give them to me because he said both his parents were moving this month. He said he'd give me the new numbers and addresses later."

"Well" said Ronnie practically, "I'm sitting right next to a New York City phone book. I'll just look his parents up for you. We'll find out where they are now."

"Oh, Ronnie! What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?"

"Hold on just a sec," Ange could hear a thunk as Ronnie put the receiver down. and then the sound of pages turning. After a moment, Ronnie got the phone again. "I hope you know his parents' first names," she said. "There are three and a half columns of Styles."

Ange groaned. "I don't know. I mean, I think Harry mentioned the names, but it'll take me a while to remember them.... Ronnie, tell me the truth. Why do you think Harry kept all this a secret?"

Ronnie sighed. "Well, he's shy. He probably just didn't want to talk about himself too much."

"But it was almost as if he lied to me. He mentioned his work a couple of times, but he never said what it was. I assumed he was, I don't know, a clerk in an office, or a baker, or an assistant somewhere. But he must have been recording instead, probably working on his new album with his band mates. You know what I think? I think I was convenient. I think I was someone nice to pal around with in a place where he didn't know anybody, but now that he's a star, he can have his pick of starlets. He doesn't need me anymore. Did you see that gorgeous Taylor Swift who is said to be his new ‘girlfriend’? She's a hundred times prettier than I am. And she's talented--"

"Ange," said Ronnie, "stop it. I wish you could hear yourself."

"But think about it," Ange rushed on. "This must be why he didn't give me a phone number. He didn't want me to call him. He doesn't need plain, skinny old Angelica Braderman anymore."

"Ange, stop," Ronnie said sharply. "I didn't get to know Harry very well, but from what I saw, he seemed honest and straightforward... and just plain nice.  What I want you to do is get off the phone and think seriously about your relationship with Harry. Try to remember conversations you had, and the things he said to you and how he looked when he said them. After you relive it all, then you can worry."

And that's exactly what Ange did. 

 (A/N): Sorry it was so short but I was so tired and I'm kinda not in the mood coz my cousin just went back home and I miss her already and my other cousin is going home on Friday and I'm just really sad coz I love them so much! waaah! ya know, that whole... I love my Family fluffy stuff! Anyways, I hope you guys still liked this... I promise I'll make it up to you guys! and Don't forget to read my new Liam Payne fanfic called 'Not-so-perfect Harmony' :) Thank you and I love you all!

~xoxoRonette