Thorin's questions came abruptly to an end when it sounded as if some dark orchestra came to life, existing of deep growls and grunts. Without actually seeing something, he could picture how the monsters were bending their paws, ready to strike once they were ordered to do so.

Immediately he pulled his sword. In an impressive short period of time, his hands had became so clammy he could barely hold his weapon in a firm grasp. He pressed his back against Elladan's so they could oversee their surroundings together. The mist however was still there, hiding their enemies.

"This is not good, my friend," Elladan spoke softly.

Thorin swallowed. Where was Scar? Was she the reason the wargs were here? If that was true, she wouldn't let them get killed, right? She could have slit their throats many moons ago.

"Can we still count on your grandmother's help?"

"Her power is great, but not sufficient to reach wicked places like this. We never should have come here."

Thorin agreed. Knowing however wasn't going to help them. He had came to find his father and he had always known that his search wouldn't lead him to a normal village. Only a dark power was able to keep him away from his children.

"Will we fight?" He looked over his shoulder, but he couldn't see his friend's face.

"I don't think they will leave us a choice."

Breathing heavily, Thorin waited until the wargs came closer. They however kept their distance, as if they were waiting for something. Had Scar killed the headman? Was she the reason they hadn't buried their claws in his body yet?

Thorin was already starting to believe that he was hallucinating when to figures came to them. Strings of nebula curled around their feet, as if the mist was reluctant to give them up.

His heart faltered as he saw Scar's white hair. She was staring at him, motionlessly. The look in her eyes tugged at his heartstrings, although he didn't know why. It felt like he was watching someone who had been tortured for hours.

Next to her stood a large orc, pieces of metal were sticking out of his head. One eye stared at him, full of hatred, the other was completely white and didn't seem to be of much use. There was a disgusting smirk on his face, but he let Scar do the talking.

The elf cleared her throat. "You can raise your swords and wait until we have torn your limbs off, or you can come quietly."

~

It was cold and his stomach was growling. Under Scar's command, orcs had locked him in a cell. Elladan's fate was unknown to him. They might have locked him up too, or maybe they killed him.

He pictured Scar's face. Was she able to kill him? Her relationship with Elladan had always been complicated. Had killing him been her purpose all along? Was this nothing but a personal vendetta?

Thorin didn't understand. For days he had been trying to come up with reasons why Scar had wanted to betray them, but it was all a mystery to him. Why did she let him live? Why had she lured them to this ruin in the first place? When did she came up with this plan? How could she do this to him?

He stood up and wrapped his hands around the iron bars. "Scar!!"

His screams echoed through the dark. It wasn't the first time he called out her name and just like the times before, she didn't respond. The waiting drove him crazy. How long would he be a prisoner? Had she been a prisoner too? For more years than his life span? Or did she tell him only lies? Had she hatched on this evil plan from the moment they met?