Chapter 16: Missing piece

Chapter 16

Peeta's P.O.V.

Becca is depressed. None of us are happy, all of us are depressed but Becca is the one who's the most depressed.

She's currently in a mental hospital, almost unreachable for her surroundings. Only Nathaniel can make her show some emotions some rare times. But she never talks. She hasn't said one word since we got to call about Riley.

We lost one daughter to death, and we may just lose our second daughter to the hardest state of depression. It's hard. This is all so hard.

I'm trying to be strong. For my family. But I'm breaking inside. It's aching in my whole body, it feels like I'm literary torn to pieces. I lost my little girl. I lost Riley. She's dead. My beautiful little girl.

It's not easier for me than it is for anyone else, even if they my think so. Riley was my baby girl, she was my sweet, kind, caring, loving little baby girl. I don't know how to go on. I can go on though, I have to go on in life. I have my depressed daughter Rebecca, my PTSD wife Katniss and my confused little son Matthew to take care of and to live for.

Riley wouldn't have wanted us to be like this, I know that she wouldn't. She would've wanted us to go on and to live our lives.

We will live. But it will never ever be the same. I will never see my girl walk through the front door with a smile on her lips again. I will never see her hold Matty's hand. I will never see her play with Matty again. I will never hear her laughter again. Her sweet laughter, the sweet sound no one would ever get tired of. I will never be able to hug her and tell her how much I love her. My beautiful girl.

"Peeta oh god", I can just barely hear my wife's voice.

I've fallen down onto the floor, dissolved in tears. I didn't even know that I've walked into Riley's room.

I'm holding a photo of her in my hands. Her beautiful face smiling at me through the frame.

"My baby girl", I cry. "My little baby girl".

"Peeta I'm sorry", Katniss blurry voice says. I feel her arms around my torso. She puts my head onto my chest. "I've forgotten to even think about how hard this is on you too, I've only been thinking of me and the kids, I'm so sorry".

She's right but I don't blame her. I blame myself. Maybe I should've told Katniss that it's hard on me too, even if it should've been pretty obvious.

I don't know what to say or what to think. The only thing I can do is to continue crying. So that's what I do. I so rarely cry, but now I let myself disappear into my tears, into my sorrow of losing my baby girl.

And Fisher... Why did he have to die? We've known Fisher since he was a newborn baby.

"Yes and Finnick got a son", I say.

"You did?" Cato asks.

"Yep", Finnick says and take up a little photo of a baby boy. "His name is Fisher".

"Naw he's so much alike you, oh my god!" Cato says and stares at the photo. "Where is he now?"

"With his mother and I think Katniss, I think that Katniss is hanging out with Annie, at least I hope she is", Finnick says.