Chapter 5: Getting ready

Chapter 5

Riley's P.O.V.

These past days Becca has been trying to get dad so mad. She tries to get him to talk to her by doing things she knows she's not allowed to do so he'll yell at her.

He doesn't though. And I can see at dad that it hurts him. But I think his method works because the principal called my mom and said that Becca is behaving better in school and not skipping. I of course knew that already since I'm in school with her.

Mom and dad asks me everyday to tell them who's bullying me but I can't tell them. It's not that this person is bullying me, but she's mean, not on purpose though. Her friends just puts a lot of pressure on her. So I'm not angry at this person.

Fisher wants me to talk to mom and dad about it. He says that they can help me. He's a senior in school, and the only one I can hang out with. I'm only a sophomore so I get a lot of evil eyes thrown at me by the pretty girls in school who has an eye open for Fisher. We're not together, we're best friend. Although we're going on our first date tonight, so maybe our friend status can change.

I really like Fisher. I've always like him since I knew what it meant to like someone. As children we were really close, and that bond has only grown stronger.

I drive up on the driveway and Matty runs out of the car.

He runs to the door and I lock my car before I run after him.

"Mom!" I yell as I run into the house. "Mom!"

"Riley!" Mom shouts as she comes running down the stairs as fast as she can. "What's wrong?"

I realize that it must have sounded like I'm in trouble or something. But that's not the case at all.

"I need your help!" I say and take her hand and drag her up the stairs she just ran down.

I pull her into my room.

"What is it?" Mom asks as I close the door.

"I need your help to look beautiful tonight at my date with Fisher", I say and drop my school bag on the floor.

"Oh that's right, your first date", mom beams smiling.

"Yeah but the thing is that I'm not beautiful like you and Becca, I need help", I say.

"Becca and you are identical twins Riley, you're copies of each other", my mom says.

"I know, but she somehow manages to look really beautiful, while I'm ... Not", I say looking down at my feet.

Mom puts two fingers under my chin and lifts my head up.

"Riley you are beautiful", she says. "Do not ever think otherwise, okay?"

I don't reply. I really can't believe that. I walk up to my closet.

"Will you just help me please?" I ask.

"Of course baby", she says and walks up to me. "What kind of clothse? Do you want ordinary but beautiful or casual, or elegant?"

I think of it for a second.

"I want cute but beautiful, and I want casual but not too casual", I say.

Mom nods and starts looking through my clothes.

She picks something out and helps me to put it on before she helps me to do my makeup and my hair. She gives me a pair of matching shoes.

All of this takes about two hours, because I want to look really nice. Fisher is two years older than me, so I'm guessing he has a lot of expertise on these things. I bet he wants a beautiful girl. A lot of girls are drooling over him everyday, in and out in school. Maybe he just asked me out because he feels sorry for me. Or because his mother asked him or something. These thoughts has crossed my mind. I don't want to think them, I just can't help to wonder why he would ask me out.