Chapter 13: Home

Chapter 13

Peeta's P.O.V.

Riley has been in the coma for four days now and Becca hasn't shown up or been found yet. How can they not find her? Or why doesn't she want to come home?

Everyone are at the hospital everyday, visiting Riley and talking to her. I never leave, and neither does Katniss, Matty and Fisher. We're always by Riley's side, but the others has to go home. They always come back though.

The rumor about not making a Mellark child angry spread through the hospital pretty fast so no one wants to get on the wrong side with them, especially not Matty. It's hilarious though. Matty doesn't seem to realize what's so funny about what he did because he was being serious the whole time.

"Peeta they wanted Riley's inhaler, and give her a new one", Katniss says to me, her voice just as dead as mine.

"I'll go get it", I say.

I stand up and kiss Katniss forehead.

"Come back soon daddy", my twelve year old son says with such unhappy voice my heart breaks even more.

"I will buddy", I say.

I walk out of the room and through the hospital. When I get to the parking lot I try to remember where I parked the car. I finally find it and sit into it.

Now when I'm alone I feel how overwhelming this all is and how scared I am. I couldn't break down with Katniss and Matty there. That's why my tears come now. I hit the steering wheel hard with my fists, screaming right out.

Why did this have to happen? Why did Becca run away? Why did Riley try to find her? Am I going to lose my girls? Both my girls? I can't do that.

Still crying I turn on the engine and carefully back out of the spot. I drive away from the hospital and towards our house.

No matter how much I try I can't stop crying. It's the first I really let go and let my feelings flow freely. I can't show how weak I am before my wife and son.

I arrive at our house and park the car on the driveway.

I walk up to the house and with shaky hands I try to open the door. I fail at first but I manage to open the door.

I walk into the house, taking off my shoes and close the door, not bothering to lock it.

Nothing has changed since we left. Of course. Coffee cups everywhere. Cushions on the floor all around. Matty's play station and games spread all around on the floor in front of the TV.

I walk up the stairs with heavy steps. I first walk into Becca's room. No one has been in there since she ran away. Her bed is undone and she has clothes spread all around in the room. Her makeup is also spread on the floor with the makeup bag thrown in a corner. It looks like she may have been looking for something. Or wait... Becca wouldn't do that. Did Riley do this? Search Becca's room? Why would she do that? I didn't even know Riley's been in here.

I close the door and walk into Riley's room. Her bed is neatly made over her bed and her room is clean. Her inhaler is lying on her nightstand in front of two frames. I sit down on her bed and take up both of them. I look at the first one. It's her and Becca, Fisher and Nathaniel. They're twelve years old. They're sitting in the grass. Riley is holding Fisher's hand looking into the camera while Fisher is looking at her. Becca is sitting between Nathaniel's legs, leaning her head against his shoulder and he has his chin into her shoulder, both of them looking into the camera smiling. I can't believe how cute they were. Nothing could separate these four children from each other nothing. But then they turned sixteen and Becca changed.