Chapter 7: Gone too far

Chapter 7

Katniss P.O.V.

Peeta is still not talking to Becca. I can see how deeply it hurts him and it hurts me to watch him being this hurt. He loves his girls and boy so much, so this is slowly killing him inside, I can see it in his eyes.

Becca was trying to be tough and cocky about this in the beginning, said that she didn't care if Peeta spoke to her or not. But I can see that she cares. This hurts her too. They're both hurt by this, but I can understand Peeta. I think that he's never been more hurt then when Bacca said that he was going to hit her. And I understand Peeta, the girls and Matty means everything to him. If they only knew everything Peeta's been through.

Of course they know that Peeta was a soldier, when we're out people has to stop to thank Peeta for serving our country and for everything he's done and tell him that they're sorry for Peeta's losses. The kids has been asking us what actually happened but we haven't told them.

I don't know if Riley remembers what she told me when she was little, about how she knew that Peeta was injured, and then I get a call about Peeta being in the hospital. I don't think she remembers it, she's never said anything about that since the time she told me the first time.

"Let go of me Riles!" I hear Becca's voice say. Although she sounds drunk. I look at the clock, it's 3:05 pm and it's Wednesday.

She didn't!

I storm out of the kitchen to meet Riley and Becca by the stairs. Riley is standing in the staircase, the first two steps, and she trying to pull Becca up with her but Becca resists with her heels into the first step.

She did.

One of my daughters is drunk on the afternoon a Wednesday, and my other daughter is trying to cover it up.

Where did Peeta and I go wrong? What happened to Becca that made her become like this? And why is Riley always protecting Becca even when Becca is mean to her?

"Becca your drunk", I say.

Both of them turns to me. Riley looks scared and Becca looks ... Like she's miles away. Riley let's go do Becca and Becca reaches into her pocket and brings out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. She puts one of the killing sticks between her lips. She lights it and starts smoking.

"Oh mom, I'm so happy you're not blind after all", she says disrespectful.

My tears burn behind my eyes and it takes everything I have not to burst out crying.

I walk up to her and she blows out the smoke into my face.

"Becca!" Riley says horrified.

I take the cigarette from Becca and puts it out by smashing it onto my thigh. I feel the burn on my skin but I don't care. I let it fall down onto the floor as I grab Becca's wrist.

"Do you think this is a freaking joke Rebecca?" I almost shout. "Do you?"

And right that second the front door opens, and Peeta and Matty walks in with smiles on their faces. Their smiles, however, fades away as soon as they see what's going on.

"What's going on?" Peeta asks looking at me.

"Your daughter is drunk", I say.

Peeta looks at Becca. Becca smiles cheeky at Peeta.

"Well hello dear father of mine who isn't speaking to me", she says, and drunkly waves her hand towards Peeta. "It's like you're not even here when you're not speaking to me and it's not like it's any different from when Riley and I were children".