Chapter 2: A phone call

Chapter 2

Katniss P.O.V.

"Where's Becca?" I ask when Riley and Matty walks through the front door.

Matty shrugs but Riley avoids meeting my eyes.

"Riley?" I say.

"I..." She's trying to come up with a lie, she's a terrific liar, just like Peeta, but right now she doesn't seem to be able to come up with one. She sighs. "I don't know, she jumped into Nate's car at lunch, I tried to stop her but you know how she is".

"Wait, she skipped school?"

Riley nods.

I sigh frustrated. Becca is just getting more and more out of hand.

"What have you done with your hand Matty?" I ask when I now notice that his hand is bandaged.

"Oh, I fell in PA and hurt my wrist, the nurse said I'll be fine", he says.

"Oh baby", I say and take him into my arms.

"Okay I know I'm twelve, but I'm never gonna grow out of your hugs mommy", Matty says and it makes my heart melt.

"Go do your homework before dinner, dad will be home soon", I say.

They nod and walk to the dinner table. After about half an hour Peeta comes home.

Matty really adores Peeta. Peeta is Matty's hero. He always wants to make Peeta proud. It's so cute.

"Where is Becca?" He asks.

"Not here", I say. "Riley told me that she skipped school during lunch".

"What?!" Peeta asks.

"We'll talk about it later", I whisper and glance at Riley and Matty.

Peeta nods and walk to the kitchen to starts with the dinner and I help Matty with his math homework.

The door bell rings.

"I'll get it", I say and stand up to walk and open the door.

I open the door and there stands no one other than Fisher Odair. He's a copy of Finnick. Of course we knew that though since already as a little baby he was so much alike Finnick it was crazy. But he was also a very chubby baby. He's eighteen now, but I still see that chubby baby when I look at him.

"Oh hey Fisher", I say and smile.

"Hello aunt Katniss", he says.

"Fisher!" Riley shouts and runs up to him and he pulls her into a hug.

I smile as I look at them. They're so cute.

"What brings you here Fisher?" Peeta asks as he throws a kitchen towel onto his shoulder and shakes hands with Fisher.

A red tone starts to show up on Fishers cheeks. He looks uncomfortable.

"Um okay here's the thing", he says. "I came here to ask the two of you", he looks from me to Peeta. "For your blessing to ask out this very beautiful girl on a date this Friday night", he looks at Riley, who looks so shocked.

I start smiling as I look at Peeta. He looks at me. This is just what we have been waiting for. Okay maybe not the part where Fisher asks for our blessing, but when he asks Riley out.

Fisher is so well mannered. He's so polite and such a good boy. Peeta and I like him very much.

"Of course you have our blessing", Peeta says.

Fisher sighs in relief and than turns to Riley.

"So Riley Madge Primrose Mellark, I've waited so long to ask you this, and you already know what I'm gonna ask but play along and pretend that you don't", he says and Riley giggles. "You're the most beautiful, kindest, amazing and warm hearted girl I've ever met in my life, we've been best friends for so long but I've always known I like you more than friends, so my question now is, will you go out on a date with me on Friday?"

Riley smiles big and nods.

"Yes Fisher", she says happily. "Yes I will".

She hugs him and I feel how tears are flowing down my eyes.

"Mom, are you crying?" Riley asks and the tree of them looks at me.

"Maybe", I say. "Oh it's just, as kids you were so cute and always hugged and held hands and now you're all grown up! And you're going on a date! Oh god I have to call Annie!" And with that I run up the stairs to grab my phone.

I hear Peeta laugh at me from downstairs and I smile big to myself. This is what Annie and I've been joking about and wished for.

And now it's happening!

Annie answers and I scream into the phone.

"Fisher was here just now!" I scream. "He asked Riley out!"

Annie starts screaming along with me.

Okay maybe we are a little crazy. But it's fun to be crazy sometimes.

I hear the home phone start calling.

"Annie I have to go, talk to you later", I say and hand up.

I run down the stairs and pick up the phone.

"Katniss Mellark speaking", I answer.

"Hello Mrs Mellark this is principal Hanover, principal of Mockingjay High", he says.

"Oh hello", I say feeling a lump build in my stomach.

"I'm calling to tell you that I want to arrange a meeting with you and your husband about your daughter Rebecca Mellark", he says.

"Oh yeah? How come?" I ask.

"Let's take it in my office tomorrow around 10 am?" He asks.

"Okay, yeah that time is good", I say. "We'll see you tomorrow".

I hang up and frown as I turn to Peeta.

"Where is Riley?" I ask.

"She's on the porch with Fisher", he says. "Who called?"

"The schools principal", I say and Peeta frowns. "He want to talk to us tomorrow about Becca".

What has that girl done now? Is she seeking trouble or what?

"What has she done?" Peeta asks and I shrug.

"He said that he wanted to take it with us tomorrow", I say. "Finnick will have to open because the meeting is at 10 am".

Peeta nods and picks up his phone to call Finnick.

I walk back to Matty to help him with his homework.

I don't know what going on with Becca but I know that it's not going to effect how much attention I give to Riley and Matty. I won't let Becca's attitude take all my attention. I'm just not.

🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀

✏️1044 words✏️

Hey guys I hope you liked the chapter.

So Fisher finally asked Riley out. Who remembers how cute they were as kids? I do!

What has Rebecca done?

Please vote and comment.

-Josephine xx