Chapter 1

~Three Years into the Future~

     Night fell upon the fields in an elegant fashion, the reds and oranges giving way to gold tinged with pink and finally settling with a deep indigo. Stars exploded in the darkness, displaying pictures of mighty beasts and telling the heart-breaking stories of those who have long since disappeared from memory. Nightlife everywhere crawled from burrow, den and comfy limb to populate the evening. But one took his precious time.

     Grace sat patiently amidst the flurry of activity,  awaiting the arrival of her friend. The sound of beating wings filled her ears, and with a smile she looked up.

     Boreas landed on her outstretched arm, and intelligently gazed at the sky.

     "So, my friend, shall we fly?" The barn owl stretched his wings and fixed his gaze on Grace's face.

     It is not safe. Grace frowned and shook her head.

     "Not safe? You haven't said that since...." A look of shock flitted across the girl's features. "No, surely not!" The owl simply shook his feathers into place.

     "Little Gracie doesn't know when to quit, does she?" The man appeared behind Grace in a whirl of blackness, the blackness that was only found in the most evil of places.

     "You were told never to show your face her again," Grace said, standing. Boreas perched tensely on her shoulder.

     "Yes, well, I'm here, aren't I?" The man laughed cruelly and raised a hand. Everything was silent, as if the creatures around them were holding their breath, waiting to see what their King and his battle partner would do.

     Cast a single spell and it will be the last thing you do. Though the owl said nothing, his words reverberated through the night. The man's eyes were fierce. He brought his hand down forcefully. Static crackled in the air and lightning flashed. The owl instantly reacted, spreading his wings and moving to attack with strong claws. Once more the man raised his hand.

     "This is what happens when you provoke the anger of Amaddas, the most powerful sorcerer this world will ever know!" Grace gasped with fury and surprise, and she aimed a curse towards the man, but too late. Once more lightning flashed, and in the light the silhouette of a raven could be seen, flying across the night sky.