Chapter 48

Adriana's eyes widen, then her face sets into a more determined look. "Fight me then. But you're going to lose." She smiles, picking up a sword that some soldier had dropped inside the barrier; her dress changing shape into a suit of armor made completely of the thick fabric and jewels sewn within; giving her mobility and protection from any sort of sharp object I may have. I have no doubt that she can move perfectly in it too. "But first let's make a bet," She hoists the sword, Cynthia's slim arms looking wrong with the heavy weapon.

"If I win, I'm free to go, my curse binding me to the Crawdoves is broken." I say, and she nods without hesitation.

"If I win," Adriana grins wickedly, "You aren't the only one who belongs to me anymore. I want Len too, both of you will have no choice but to serve me unconditionally."

I hesitate, reluctant to bring someone other than myself into this, but nod. "I won't lose."

"Neither will I."

Adriana strides forwards, raising the blade of the sword high. I grit my teeth, she shouldn't even be able to lift the sword from the ground, let alone swing it. I doubt Cynthia's ever even lifted anything heavier than the diamonds on her jewelry, but all the same, I jump back when she swings. A good choice, considering in the process the blade catches a strand of hair, slicing it to pieces as I watch it.

The sword is shimmering around the edges, and Adriana grins, hefting it higher before coming in to swing at me again. My eyes widen, and I dodge again, listening to the whistle of the metal cutting through the air towards me. Magic, she's enchanting the sword!

Adriana grins as I land after my most recent dodge from her attack, sliding in the dirt; the only thing stopping me is my staff; forced into the ground. "What's wrong? Too afraid to retaliate Asra!? How do you plan on hurting me exactly? All you have is a stick!" How is she doing this? She doesn't have genie magic, and Leila's lamp around her neck isn't even glowing; so she doesn't seem to be using Leila's.

Adriana's grin slips as I charge her, and her hand shoots out, an invisible force shoving me away to land of my backside, skidding in the dirt. That force, it's the same thing that pushed me into the lake... I narrow my eyes, ready to try something now; an idea forming in my head.

I run forwards again, this time dodging the blast of air by using my momentum to run sideways up the wall, taking a swing at her head in the process.

It's blocked by a thick sheet of ice, and my staff bounces off harmlessly. My eyes widen, I know what she's doing now.

I continue my run, creating a new barrier for me to walk on that disappears as soon as I step off, landing in the dirt; panting slightly. But grinning. It throws Adriana off balance, and she frowns. "What're you grinning about?" She growls.

"You aren't nearly as powerful as you want me to believe. Are you?" I smile slightly at the shocked look on her face. She grips her sword tighter, charging again, and I grin; seeing just what I want to when her sleeve lifts up. There's a crystal there, tied to her wrist firmly. But I can't tell what color.

I bring my staff down, aiming for her stomach; at the last second changing the direction to her wrist. Adriana can't change the spot the wind protects at the last moment, and the ice doesn't form until the staff has already made contact. I hear a crack, and when I pull my staff back through the thin layer of ice that's formed, I can see a hairline fracture on the crystal. So close.

I back away, letting Adriana attack this time. She brings the sword forwards, the blade alight with flame; my eyes widen, but the air disappears around both Adriana and the blade, stopping her mid swing to gasp for breath and extinguishing the fire all at once. I can feel the power Baldur gave me rushing through my veins, and with a burst of speed, fly forwards; smashing the crystal with a final hit from my staff.