Chapter 38

"You're sure it's this way?" My fingers tighten around Wiccet's reins apprehensively. We've been riding for days, and the food supplies I bought were getting low. We haven't passed any other people, or towns either since the impromptu bandits attacked us.

"Yes I'm sure." Len says, and I sigh, trying to release some of the tension from my shoulders. Wiccet remains undisturbed, but Zedd shares my apprehension, his eyes wide and steps skittish. Len pats his head, eyes glazing over for a second as he tries to calm his horse.

The trees themselves seem to lean towards us, leering sinisterly. "I don't like it here."

"They enchant the trees," Len says nonchalantly. "They're made to look like that, to deter people from wandering in the forest." He looks over, smiling slightly. "If it bothers you, just close your eyes. I know where we're going." He leans over, trying to grab Wiccet's reins.

"No, I need to steer Wiccet," I say pulling them out of reach, "Besides," I grin, watching Wiccet take a snap at Len's fingers, making him snap them back. "I don't think he'd let you anyways."

"That horse has temper problems." Mumbles Len, propelling Zed forwards with a gentle kick. "And he's possessive too." He grumbles, making me snicker.

We plod on for a few more minutes, watching the trees nervously. Wiccet seems unbothered, but Zed is growing increasingly uneasy, his hooves dancing above the ground. The path disappeared a long time ago, the only indicator its there at all being the straight lane where no trees grew. Too straight to be natural.

"Asra." Len says quietly, and I look up from playing with Wiccet's reins.

"What?"

"Does it seem to you like the trees are leaning in?" I peer up at the thick canopy above our heads cautiously.

The branches and leaves were thick here, making the forest seem even creepier than before. Under the circumstances, they did seem to be leaning in on us. "Uh, yeah actually. They do. Do you remember them doing this when you came here before?"

Len shook his head. "No. But, they were expecting me before." He clears his throat, "It's probably nothing, I'm sure it's just another illusion or something like that to keep people out."

"Yeah." I swallow, trying to work some moisture through my dry throat. "That's probably i-"

The forest around us bursts to life, the bushes and undergrowth leaping from the ground as if they'd sprouted legs. Len lets out a yelp as one pulls him from Zed, who is panicking, and Wiccet seems to finally break his silent spell as well. The horses kick and whinny, rearing and lashing out with their hooves.

On of the strange plants approach me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me down. I look at it as I fall, catching a glimpse of a face under the leaves and mud.

I land on the ground roughly, the wind knocked out of me. I throw up a shield, blocking anybody outside my little bubble from touching me. I can see Len on the other side, sitting on the ground and being held down by a person dressed as a bush, not unlike the one that had pulled me from Wiccet.

Speaking of him, I turn, only to see a fist headed towards me. I duck, in part to my legs giving out beneath me in shock, the swing just barely missing my face. I stand back up, my arms up in a defensive position, working through what I can do, I'm not the best in close combat. Up until now, I haven't done much fighting and everything that I did was to help me escape.

I can see Len being held down in the corner of my eye, a dagger to his throat, while the other bush people attack my bubble, trying to distract me enough that the shield goes down. I dodge another punch, watching two of them calm and secure Zed.