Chapter 32

The camp was gone. Nothing was left by the time we got there. Where there had been people bustling around, hustling to leave before the guards made it there, there was now an empty clearing, even the little area where Leila and I had had our fire held no sign of activity, human or magic alike. I couldn't even sense the magic that had been so abundant before from Euna.

My stomach lurched at the thought of Leila. She was gone. Gone. Taken by the man who took our Father. I pull myself away from the thought, I'll find her. I'll save her. We'll be fine.

Len says something, crouching and lightly tracing his finger in the dust. I frown, poking him in the shoulder and gesturing to my ears. He rolls his eyes, but repeated himself anyways.

 I said that they're very good at hiding their tracks. There's almost nothing left here.

 Almost?

I said good, not perfect. Especially for a guy who used to live in the woods, and I'm pretty sure I have a many more years of experience in hiding than everyone else in the camp.  

I pause, watching Len pace, reaching down and touching the odd marking in the dirt every so often.

 How long were you living in the woods?

Len stops as well, straightening up stiffly, before he says, quietly, in a sort of whisper in my mind, That doesn't matter.

I feel like time has stopped. Without hearing, the clearing is completely silent. Len is frozen in indecision, from what, I don't know. The entire situation is eerie.

 In fact, I continue, figuring if I need answers, I might as well get them all. What were you doing in that forest in the first place? What did you do that was so bad you needed to live in the woods by yourself?

Len turned, It doesn't matter.  

 But it does!  I insist. Why won't you tell me? Don't you trust me?

 I did something horrible. Len stared me in the eyes. You wouldn't be able to look at me the same again. And I don't want that to change.

 Please. I think. I should let it go, but something about it drives me on. Curiosity maybe, but I don't think that's it.

Len sighs, rubbing his face in his hands. I'll tell you later. He holds up a hand, stalling my next words. I promise, just, not now. They're probably coming after us right now, we'll talk when it's safer.

I purse my lips, folding my arms, but consent anyways. Lead the way then, you're the tracker.  

Len begins to pace again, looking at the dirt, and occasionally touching a tree or leaf.

 What're you doing?  Don't we need to go after them?  I ask, trying to keep the confusion and frustration of not being able to hear, combined with wanting to know the truth about Len, out of my thoughts. Is the amazing tracker not so amazing after all?

Maybe this isn't a good idea. Len mused, tapping his chin and ignoring my previous comment, deep in thought.  

I stared at him, What do you mean?

 I mean, going after them. That man was definitely after you, and I don't see Myles or the guys anywhere. I can only hope they didn't get caught back there. Not to mention, he has Leila now. That makes him infinitely more powerful than before, when he just had your Father, who was so beat down over the centuries, that he couldn't do much any longer.