Chapter 47

I whip around, seeing the familiar face behind me with a wave of relief. "Baldur?" Len stands in the doorway, which calms down as I get farther away from it; walking towards the old man. "What're you doing here?"

Baldur leans on his staff, although not as heavily as before. He looks a little better, if not completely. "I came. Just like I promised." He says quietly. "To fulfill my final purpose."

"What're you talking about?" I say, kneeling down so I can look at his face; hidden in his silver hair. "I'm just glad you're still alive." I bite my lip, "You were pretty banged up earlier."

"You know what I'm talking about." He says quietly, straightening up slightly. "You need help, and this is the final thing I can do for your family. I'm sorry I can't do more."

"You don't have to do anything!" I say, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Len comes closer too, his face pained. "What does he mean? What're you talking about?"

"Asra," Says Baldur, "Come closer please." I blink, surprised. I'm already close enough that I'm practically kneeling next to him. But, I do as he asks; coming close enough for me to smell his breath. I expect a nasty odor to come my way, but his breath smells pleasant. Like mint, and I relax slightly.

"Show me that crystal you always keep with you; please." He says, and I blink, but do as he says; pulling the crystal off my neck and holding it in my hands.

"I don't understand what this has to do with-"

"Trust me." Baldur says quietly, and I shut my mouth. "Look at it, tell me what you see." He says, and I do so, just wanting to know what he thinks this will do.

"It's a crystal, and-" I shrug, my hand going limp. "It's full of my magic...?" I wince, that's obviously not what he meant.

"The color Asra, what color is it?" He says, bringing my hand back up patiently.

"...Gold." I say, "That's the color it's always been."

"Now what color is your lamp?" I frown, why the stupid questions all of a sudden?

"Copper. More of an orange-brown mix, I guess." I say, not even having to look to confirm my words. "Why is that important?"

"Because your Father had gold magic, and your mother had silver. There is no reason you you to have the copper. This is what we've been working on all month; this is what you've been holding locked up for years."

Len has fallen silent in the corner, and Baldur leans down, placing his hand atop my head, giving Len a warning look as he tries to take a step closer. I sit; stock still, shocked by this new information. I always thought I was a copper genie because I wasn't powerful enough to be anything else. Genies are ranked by their colors; in a way. Bronze, copper, silver, and then golden. I guess it never did make sense I would be a copper genie is my parents had gold and silver, but it's possible, even if it's still rare."If you get caught in the wave, then I can't help what will happen to you." Baldur says, glaring at Len, who looks disgruntled, but backs off all the same. He knows not to cross Baldur.

Baldur leans down further, this time bringing his mouth to my ear and speaking in a whisper. "Use my gift wisely." He says, and takes a deep breath. I frown, confused; but don't dare to interrupt him as he starts speaking again.

"Asra, I wish for you to take whats left of my power, and use it to fight against Adriana in the battle for the freedom of this Kingdom." I let out a gasp, backing away from him abruptly.

"No!" I say, backing against the wall, and watching him lean heavily on his staff; a stream of magic appearing from him to my now glowing lamp.

"What?! Whats happening?!" Len cries, and tries to take a step forwards, but Baldur holds out a hand.