Chapter 17

I whip around in time to see Amita, surprised, drop a basket of laundry to the ground. "No, no. Don't yell!" I whisper, looking pointedly at her mouth. It was wide open, ready to let out a sound I was sure would bring anybody within hearing distance in seconds. I reach out my hand, holding it towards her, and she freezes. My hand is still glowing, with the after effects of the magic in the room. 

Internally, I curse, I should have disguised myself better. But going back to Briar would raise questions considering how long I had been gone, I assume shes still in Trans care, wherever she is. But now when Amita sees me with the Prince, she'll start asking questions. Questions I need to remain unasked. 

Glancing around, I turn back to Amita's still shell shocked figure. "I- I can explain." I start, "But not right now. I don't have the time. "Just- uh, don't say anything to anybody. If you really want answers, meet me tomorrow night, in the gardens." By now, my hand had stopped glowing, and Amita deemed it to mean I was not as big a threat. 

"How do I know you won't kill me?" She asks suspiciously, "Drag me off into the night never to be seen again, just a servant girl. Nobody would notice." 

"If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it already." My eyes narrow. "Believe me though, your life is much more important than you think." I pause, thinking of Tran's theory of all the servants being magical. If the King was hoarding them like this, he must have some sort of use for them. Maybe something other than the war. If someone disappeared, he wouldn't overlook it. Amita still looks suspicious, though the comment about her being more important than she thinks definitely seems to have her interested.

"If you tell anyone about me though," I pause for dramatic effect, "the deal is off and I will find you." There. A threat ought to keep her quiet, no matter how empty. Amita's eyes widen, at first I think she heeding my threat, then I notice how they've locked on my chest. 

Or, more accurately, my lamp. 

"That's Briars necklace," She whispers, "The one she said she got from the boy in town." Her eyes raise to my face now, filled with trepidation. "What did you do to her? Where is she!?" 

Uh oh, cover blown. I pause a second, before oh so smoothly adding it on to my threat. "Uh, Briar? I don't know any... Briar. But if shes that servant girl from about a week ago, um, she tried to report me. Yeah. Blew off our meeting of peace and tried to report me. So I intercepted her and, well. It wouldn't be any fun if I told you what I did. Would it?" 

At the slightly growing face of fear I saw in front of me, I decided it was time to go. "Just come. I promise I won't hurt you unless you say anything to anybody else. But if you want answers, you'll only get them from me." 

At the end of my slightly non-dramatic speech, I turned and stalked my way down the hall, resisting the urge to run, and turned the corner. Leaving a stunned and frightened Amita behind. 

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

 I brush off my skirt lightly, the gardens remain dark as I make my way back to the ball, ducking around corners and following the light that streamed over the hedges. Occasionally I would pass a couple, but they seemed much more interested in their business than a random passerby. I can't tell how long I spend in the gardens but it seems as if I am walking in circles. 

Instead of the music of the band that had been playing earlier, there is an eerie silence, mixed in with... Screams? My steps quicken, bringing me up the steps back onto the balcony where I had sneaked off of before. The ballroom is in chaos, people darting every which way in a blind panic. 

What happened? Did the Underground not listen to my warning for more time and attack? Maybe they didn't even get my message at all, those men were birds flying in the dark after all. Without thinking, I dive into the fray, grabbing a frightened woman's arm. Intending to ask what was going on.