Chapter 7: An Apple

In Ancient Greek myths, the Apple was considered to be sacred to Aphrodite. To throw an apple at someone was to symbolically declare one's love. To catch it was to symbolically show one's acceptance of that love.
-Ansila Miruko

ANSILA'S POV
I hummed as I skipped to school. I was in high spirits for some reason that I can't explain. Actually, I don't know myself. Just the thought of heading to school seems to excite me. I used to drag my feet to school silently, hoping to just go on in the day unnoticed. Just like a Shadow...

I stopped in my tracks and wondered what was it exactly that made me change...

"Oi! Don't just stop!" Someone shouted from behind. I turned around and saw a familiar blonde head boy standing just a metre away from me. He was playing with an apple in his hand, throwing and catching it repeatedly

"Oh hi Yuu," I greeted with a smile.

Yuu greeted back and asked, "Why did you stop?"

"Hmm? I was just thought that I might have forgotten something. It's nothing though..." I replied and continued walking.

"Hey!" He shouted and I turned around. He then threw me an apple and told me to catch it. I caught it and felt my cheeks burn.

"Erm... Why did you give me an apple?" I asked.

"I just thought maybe you forgot breakfast," he replied.

"Oh thanks..." I replied.

"Why is your face so red?" He asked.

"W-Well... In Ancient Greek myths, the Apple was considered to be sacred to Aphrodite. To throw an apple at someone was to symbolically declare one's love. To catch it was to symbolically show one's acceptance of that love..." I replied feeling kind of embarrassed.

Yuu had a rather amused look on his face and smirked, "You thought I love you? How naive. Love is a simple affection for another. I have no use of such devices. However, if I must, I will make use of it as a tool in getting what I want."

"Let me guess... Shadou," I sighed and took a bite in the apple.

"Yup!" He replied joyously.

"But it is kind of cruel, isn't it? To play with another's heart like that..." I told him.

"Even if the whole world thinks I am a villain, I honestly don't care anymore. This isn't a world where I belong..." Yuu replied.

It probably isn't one I belong in either...

+++

Where is Yuu?

Class is over and I can't find him anywhere.

"So what did you call me out here for?" a familiar voice asked.

Yuu?

I peeked behind the tree and saw Yuu with another girl.

"Well I... I wanted to thank you for the other day!" The girl said nervously.

What other day?

"Oh, that day. It was nothing, those dudes seemed pretty interesting so I decided to take them on. It's not everyday that you get to see others with powers as well," Yuu replied.

"But, I want to thank you by... Um... Maybe we could go on a date?" The girl asked.

A date?

That's it, I am out of here.

I quickly turned around and ran as far as my legs could take me. When I realize I was far enough, I could not help but remember the scene that I had seen.