My Bad Boy

Who would have known that my best friend would become popular in high school.

Who would have known he would be a complete jerk and forget about the friendship we had. About what we had. 

I grew up with this boy. He was my best friend. He left me for himself. He felt that being around me would not look good for him. 

My best friend turned into the school jock. The guy that everyone dreams to be, the guy that girls wish to be with, and yet the guy that people wish they never met. 

I didn't ever do anything bad to him. I never crossed him. If being supportive and loving is what I did wrong then I guess I really messed up. All our memories went down the drain when he choose his high school reputation over the girl he grew up with.

Sergio and I lived about a block away from each other which was just down the street to our middle school. He walked me home every day just to make sure I made it home safe. Just behind our middle school, we had a park. 

That park meant the world to us. We went all the time to hang out, just talk about anything, and used that as our place to relax. 

A Saturday morning just a few months before we began Highschool, we met halfway from each other's houses and walked to our park. 

_____

"Briana!" Yelled Sergio as he attempted to outrun me and get his phone. I was a good runner. I slowed down just so he could try to catch up to me, which eventually he did. 

"Catch me if you can," I told him.  After trying him trying to chase me for a couple of minutes in the park he grabs me and my eyes widen in shock. I looked behind me and saw that he had his arms around my waist giving me a surprise hug from behind me. My heart skipped a beat at his movement. I was so glad he couldn't see my face because I was blushing like crazy!

"You are the absolute worst Bri!" he said as he snatched his phone away from my tiny hands and I stuck my tongue out childishly. He chuckled at my action and I smiled shyly at him. He's the only person who ever made me feel like that.

"You're so fun to mess with." I sighed with laughter 

******

The transition from middle school to high school was exciting yet frightening. 

When we started high school, we still talked but the workload quickly caught up to us. That wasn't the only thing that impacted our friendship. 

When someone really wants to hang out or be around you, regardless of how busy they are they'll find time to be with. you. That wasn't the case for us.

He seemed to use all of that as a bigger excuse to not be around me. The time we spent would limit as the days went by. We went from seeing each other every day after school to only seeing each other in the hallways in between classes. 

When I had my first boyfriend-named Ellian, I was trying to get over the heartbreak of losing my best friend. Little did I know I would cause myself a heartbreak times two.

I dated Elian at the stary of high school, during my freshman year. 

Our relationship ended because I was so blinded by my feelings. 

**

"I'm in love with you, I love you so much you don't even understand," Elian confessed as he looked down into my eyes smiling at me.

We had been dating for over a year and I was completely in love with him.  We were now Sophomores and it seemed like Freshman year had gone by so quickly.

"I love you too Sergio" We were getting closer to a kiss, but that's when we both realized what I had just said.

I said Sergio, not Ellian. I said my best friends name. I was star struck as to why I even though about saying his name. Much less why I actually said it. 

"I knew it. I loved you so much I put that past us, but you know what?" I shook my head so mad at myself for what I said.  He continued "I will always love you, and this isn't a goodbye. I want to give you some time to yourself. As much as I love you, Bonita, I don't want to be the reason why you aren't happy. So I want to give you space so you can figure out what you truly desire. Whether it's me or him, I'll be waiting either as your friend or as your significant other." He gave me a peck on my cheek and walked away.

I closed my eyes in hope that I was dreaming and even pinched myself a couple of times. I shortly realized that this was my reality and I had messed up. 

****

That day will forever haunt me.

 I was so blinded by my feelings. I guess I had always pushed those feelings towards Sergio to the back of my mind but at that moment with Ellian, they seemed to have relapsed.

I feel like such a horrible human being.

Maybe I liked Sergio because he knew me better than anyone else. He was basically my everything. 

He knew what I liked, what I disliked, who I disliked, he knew me like the back of his palm. Just as I did him.

Ellian knew just as much as Sergio. Sergio has known me for longer. I don't even know why I'm comparing them

** Bell rings**

The bell signaling its time for my first period. I had English for my first period. I rushed out of the school hallways with my huge book barely being able to carry it. 

Out of nowhere, I feel myself fall butt first on the floor.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING" as I tumbled to the floor I began to mutter curse words scared to see who I ran into.