Ninety Two // Street Meet

Start from the beginning

"That's me." I smiled, pressing the button to the elevator and waiting for it to come up. "I always dress like shit on a date. So tell me, what are we doing? And don't give me any of that 'it's a surprise' shit because that's about as cliché as it gets."

Harry hesitated as the elevator doors opened and we stepped in. "... well we are going to go have some street meat for dinner, I think there's hot dog venders around the city. And then we are going to do something reckless."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, getting drunk on the beach? Figured that could be fun. Providing we don't get caught..." He shrugged.

I smiled, "We should do it. You know, I think this date might not suck as much as I thought it would."

<><>

Taking a bite from the hot dog that Harry had bought me, I tried my best not to laugh at the idiotic things that he was saying. It wasn't that he wasn't funny- which to be honest, is true sometimes. It's just that I don't want to spit meat on him. And while that would be hysterical, it would also be disgusting and though I've never had a high opinion on dates, I didn't want this to go badly. I actually liked him... kind of. I don't like getting close to guys, I always get burned.

But I didn't want that to distract me from tonight, which was shaping up to be pretty fun. Because the sun had already set we didn't get stopped at all. We were both wearing sunglasses despite the lack of sun and were on the quieter side of Brisbane, so it was going smoothly so far.

"True story. But I mean, how was I supposed to know that it was a prank? If you see a pregnant woman going into labor, you help her. I was just trying my best to help." He shrugged before biting into the hot dog that he was holding.

I shrugged my shoulders, moving the wrapper down so I could take another bite. "I don't know, I'd rather call nine one one and not have to worry about helping a woman deliver a baby. But that's just me."

"Yeah, just you." Harry rolled his eyes. "So how are you enjoying our none cliché, less girl like date? Sorry we couldn't wrestle crocodiles." I laughed as he spoke, remembering our conversation when he first asked me out on this date.

"It's fine I suppose, you know, since it doesn't have any crocodile wrestling. But I guess it's not too bad." I mocked him, trying my best not to laugh.

Harry scoffed. "Not too bad? I paid a dollar forty seven for that hot dog and it's not too bad. Hate to think of what your reaction would be like if I surprised you with a four course meal at some five star restaurant."

"I'd probably leave and you'd never hear from me again. But that's just me." I playfully teased him, liking the banter that we had going back and forth.

"Oh right, yeah of course." Harry laughed, looking down at me for a second before facing forward and biting into his dinner.

I smiled to myself as we continued to walk down the empty sidewalk, music softly playing from the stores and restaurants we passed. After a comfortable silence, I spoke. "So tell me, what's next on the agenda? Sky diving? Cliff diving? Ooh, oh, how about we go snorkeling with some great whites. I heard that's all the rage for crappy first dates. I mean, one of us could get eaten?" I offered up, watching at the corners of Harry's lips turned up into a smile.

"As fun as risking our lives would be, I think doing something a little simple would be better..."

<><>

I cringed at the amount of sand that was in my ankle boot, not liking the idea of waiting to take it off at the hotel. Luckily for me that would only be a few minutes from now, as we were riding the elevator up to the floor that our hotel rooms were on. My hand was lazily intertwined with Harry's- had it been for the past twenty minutes or so. We were standing in a silence, both of us exhausted after the night we had.