"That indeed would be a little strange," he admitted on a chuckle.

Dís gave him an hesitant smile. She hadn't known if it was wise to say that out loud, but it was the truth and she didn't want to muse about every word for minutes. She had already lost so much spontaneity and she wished she could get it back.

"I can give you a herbal blend which helps you sleep." He glanced aside, hesitation was visible in his eyes. "My apologies for not giving you one before. I didn't want to impose my help."

"I don't mind." She didn't think she would have appreciated the elf king standing in front of her door with an anti nightmare drink anyway, despite of his good intentions. "I didn't ask for help either."

"I hope you will in the future."

Lord Elrond looked at her. Their fingers bumped and Dís just wanted to step aside when Elrond's hand slipped into hers. Bewildered, Dís held her breath, staring at the elf king in disbelief.

ELROND

. . .

Elrond didn't know why he had taken Dís' hand in his. It had felt as natural as breathing. Only when she looked at him in shock, he realized what he had done. He tried to show her a smile, but the calmness he used to feel was suddenly gone and he was sure it looked all but genuine. Yet, it felt wrong to let go of her hand and she neither pulled away. A sudden feeling of freedom washed over him, as if something that had been captivated inside him was finally freed, its chains lying uselessly on the floor now.

They didn't speak. Elrond couldn't even think of words to say to her; he was completely immersed by his own confusing feelings. He had known for quite a while that his feelings for Dís went beyond friendship. He however thought they were sharing some kind of bond because they had both lost a lover, but right now he realized there was much more.

She awoke the longing to wrap his arms around her, to protect her, even when there was no danger. He just wanted to hold her like he had done a few hours ago and it had taken quite the effort to let go of her.

He didn't know what to do with these new feelings. She was vulnerable and he doubted she felt the same about him. She spent her days in sadness and her pain was much fresher than his. He doubted she would be able to open her heart for someone else. It had taken him centuries to do so and Dís — Dís didn't have centuries. He could only hope her wounds would heal sooner because of it, so she could learn to enjoy life again.

From his periphery he peeked aside. Dís had turned her face away and watched the river they walked past. The moon shone upon her face, accentuating her nose that seemed a little too small for her face and the strong jawline that could only belong to a dwarf. Her blue eyes were shining as the stars above their heads, this time there were no tears in them. Her wild, brown hair curled down her ears, which were round and adorned with gems.

Never he had expected to lose his heart to a dwarf. It was too soon to decide if he wanted to share his life with her and he knew they would have to overcome a lot of difficulties. She was sick, she didn't feel home among the elves and he knew there was a distance between them that he couldn't cross on his own. Even though she was a princess herself, she created the impression that he was some sort of saint to which she couldn't speak freely. He didn't know if she would be able to get past that, although their laced fingers gave him good hope.

Suddenly, she stood still. He was about to pull his hand away, but her grasp was firm as she turned to face him. Her eyes were full of doubt. "What does this mean?" She lifted their hands. "You confuse me, my lord."