Chapter 7: I Know U

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. I remember you pouring oil on me, but that's about it." Gwen's eyes darted around the room. Nothing stood out, just a typical shared hospital room. She had the part of the room with a window that looked directly to a building across the street. Everything was tan, grey or white. The only color was the pastel green and pink triangle pattern of her gown.

"You insisted I pull up your shorts before the EMT arrived. There wasn't enough time and you were in too much pain, but that didn't stop you so you tried to do it yourself. The doctor said you probably passed out from the pain. She said you need to have an x-ray but they had to wait for you to be awake for that."

"How long was I out?"

"Not that long. We just got here. The doctor just left before you woke up." Dorian smiled softly and Gwen couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you for coming. I'm sure you have places to be. I'll call Annalise to pick me up." Gwen smiled back but it was forced. She didn't really want him to leave but felt guilty for causing this much trouble. As his brow creased Dorian shook his head. He was about to say something when the doctor walked back in.

"I see you're awake. I'm Doctor Grace." The short middle aged woman with shoulder length auburn hair pushed the curtain aside with a boisterous attitude. Her eyes almost as wide as her smile. Despite her eagerness there was a warm, softness to her personality.

"Yes. Will I be able to walk again doctor?" Gwen suddenly remembered having trouble getting off the kitchen floor after Dorian got her out of the tight space. She knew she was being a bit overdramatic but she couldn't help the tingling prickles of fear that scattered throughout her body.

The doctor's laugh was heartfelt and put Gwen's trepidation a little more at ease, "Yes Ms. McPherson. I think you will be able to walk. From what Mr. Byrne described I think at worst you have a bruised rib, but I want to do an X-ray just to be sure nothing is broken. I gave you some pain medication but we are still doing the blood work to see what you can tolerate. Is there anything you are allergic to?"

Gwen shook her head no, glad she could now move it due to the medicine the doctor gave her.

"But, why did I pass out? Is it ... oh god did I have a brain aneurism?" Gwen had the uncanny ability of making any slight ailment or bit of bad luck out to be doom. This all goes back to her parents being so overly protective of her. As much as she wanted to break free and be her own person, there was always a sense of dread in the little things.

"I don't think so Ms. McPherson. A lot of people pass out due to pain, it's not uncommon. Considering the amount of pain a bruised rib can cause, I am not surprised this happened." Dr. Grace smiled but glanced down at the clipboard in her hand. She then explained that Gwen would be X-rayed and then after they would wait for the blood results to prescribe medication.

During this time Gwen kept persuading Dorian to head home, but he wouldn't leave her side. Even when they finally did make it home, Dorian escorted her into her bedroom and told her he would stick around until Annalise got home. As much as Gwen wished to protest, he did look really cute when he was trying to play nurse.

"Okay Dorian, if you are going to take care of me then you need to take off your shirt." Gwen bit on her upper lip trying to hide the smile that worked its way across her lips. The medication Dr. Grace prescribed for her bruised rib was making her feel very relaxed. She wouldn't mind if everyone was topless, so much more freeing that way.

Dorian smiled, "How about I just read to you instead. I just got a new horror book from Amazon. I can read it to you."

Gwen felt really good right now. Everything he said sounded lovely. She thought about having a snack while he read but nothing seemed appealing to her. The doctor told her the medication might make her nauseous. Instead she decided to just feed on his words, for they made her happy.