Cancer

Niall: Silently you fiddled with the oxygen tube, which lead to your oxygen tank. You didn’t dare to look at Niall, who was crouched down in front of you, trying to look in your eyes. “Baby… Just tell me what you want…” You shrugged. “I don’t want anything..” His hand stroked your bony knee through your jeans. “Are you sure?” You nodded. “Look, I got a month… But I just…” You remained silent for a second and looked in his blue eyes. “I don’t have the energy for it Niall…” He nodded and sat down next to you, taking your skinny hand in his. “Shall we start with a movie then?” You shook your head and lied down against his side. “You worry me…” He whispered. “Why?” you mumbled. “It’s just… I want you to be happy for the last month… Just the last couple of weeks… I want you to be happy, have the feeling your life meant something, and that you’re happy with the time you had. I want to give you everything you desire, I want to make you happy… The problem is that you don’t want anything.” “I don’t have the energy to do anything Niall. All I want is to be with you, and the boys, and my family.” You kept silent, a little out of breath. You adjusted the nose strap of your oxygen tank, trying to get more air. He nodded silently and pulled you in his arms. He stroked your hair, keeping you close to him. “Shall I sing to you?” You nodded and rested your head against his chest as he softly sang “Skin (Sara Beth)” from Rascal Flatts. You already felt the tears well up in your eyes, and you hid your face in his shirt. He softly stroked your hair as his voice started to tremble, and he remained silent, not continuing the song. “I don’t want you to go… I can’t do this without you.” He sighed, burying his face in your hair. “Niall… You’ll be fine, just promise me you’ll move on after a while.” “I’m not sure if I can…” his voice was just a whisper between sobs. “You will Niall… I’ll be up there, and I’ll find an amazing girl for you, and I’ll make sure you meet her.” He remained silent for a long while, only occasional sobs filling the air. “Will you be there for me? Forever?” he breathed after a while. You looked up to him in his blue eyes, which were filled with tears. “Of course Niall. I’ll be there at every performance, every award show, or everything you’ll ever do. I’m not leaving you Niall. I’m just watching from a distance, that’s all. Like I’m in England while you’re in America singing your heart out. Just remember me… Remember me when you sing Niall.” He nodded silently, holding your fragile body in his arms. “I love you…” He mumbled after a while. You smiled and looked up in his eyes. “I love you too…”

Louis: Another day at the hospital, another day in worry. You watched him through the window, which was painted with Disney figures. His hands raked through his hair over and over again as he sat near the bed, your little three year old girl lying there, asleep. There was an oxygen tube in her small nose, and her blue eyes were faded and tired. Since a year she had been diagnosed with leukaemia, and it had progressed rapidly. Her laugh faded; her father couldn’t even make her laugh anymore. Treatment had been very heavy on her, making her even more fragile. You sighed and walked into the room silently. Your husband looked up and his hands raked through his hair once more. “How is she?” You whispered softly, sitting down next to him. Your hand rubbed softly across his tensed back, signs of fatigue in his face. “It’s getting worse every day… I don’t want that…” He whispered, his voice agonisingly desperate. You bit your lip, trying not to cry when answering him. “I know baby, I don’t want it either.” You shifted your look to your small girl, her brown hair sweaty around her face, her eyes now closed. She was in a deep sleep, like she had been for the majority of last week. He sighed and took her small hand in his. “Baby… You’ll be ok, we’ll get you better… I promise. I love you… Daddy’s going to make you better.” Tears formed in his eyes and he sighed, trying to hide it. “It’s ok..” You whispered. He looked at your little girl and pulled her in his arms. She didn’t even notice, and slept on quietly. Your husband buried his face in her hair, his shoulders shaking with tears. “She can’t go… I don’t want her to.” “She will… You know she will..” You whispered, realising it was the first time you voiced your concern out loud. He sighed and a shudder went through his entire body. There was a soft knock on the door that made you turn around. Liam and Danielle were standing in the door, Niall and Harry behind them. “Hey guys,” he murmured. “Shall Danielle and I watch her for a while? You guys need a break…” You looked at Louis and then at your daughter. Louis nodded slowly. “We could go to the restaurant downstairs… It would only take an hour or so.” You nodded and you quickly followed Harry and Niall out to the elevator. Louis’ arms were around your shoulders, and you held your arms around his waist. The closeness was calming, soothing, but in the back of your mind there was a growing fear that something would happen in the hour you were gone. Silently you stepped into the elevator, Niall and Harry watching you two uncomfortably. It was just a couple of minutes later you found yourself sitting at a table in the small restaurant. It had been decorated simply, and sober, just like the wards upstairs had been. There were only a few tables, and in the corner there was a buffet with all kinds of dishes. You held Louis’ hand as he filled up two plates, not really caring at what he piled up on it. When you were sitting at the table just a moment later, you were only moving the food around on your plate. Harry and Niall were talking animatedly, and Louis joined in every once in a while, but his mind was out of it too. It was just a couple of minutes later when you heard Louis’ phone ring.