twenty

June 5, 2094

VAL

I had spent the past month and half traveling back and forth between Boston and Augusta meeting with the scientist who agreed to make the contacts for me in exchange for his family's freedom. Augusta was a quaint town in Maine on the water's edge, the seafood incomparable to the rest. The streets were mostly barren of people, but I assumed that was because of my announcement to the capital that I would be arriving in town soon. Most of the time when passerby saw me, they would stop and stare, or mothers would hurriedly push their children along the street away from me. They were scared of me, and I loved it. Nothing was more satisfying than knowing I was the source of someone's fear. Once I knew that, I essentially became unstoppable. Unconquerable. I smiled to myself at the thought of owning it all, having it all in the palm of my hand. America was about to become my own personal playground.

I walked into the laboratory in Augusta to be met with the ever-smiling scientist Fredrick Lewis after grabbing breakfast at a local diner, which of course, was free. He escorted me down the long hallway that had started to become familiar, his square rimmed glasses perched precisely on the bridge of his pointed nose. His bald head was somewhat distracting as the overhead lights reflected off of it as we walked, and his white lab coat practically touched the floor as he walked with his hands behind his back. He pushed open a door and allowed me to step through, and my eyes widened upon seeing all of the technology and chemistry equipment set up around the white tiled room. He walked us over to a two way mirror where a man was standing with his arms by his side.

"Ms. Jauregui, I am very happy to tell you that the contacts are complete."

I smiled. "That is very good news, Dr. Lewis."

"Tate agreed to be your first test subject." He pointed to the muscular boy inside of the room. "Here, let me show you what all he can do." He pressed a button on the control panel, speaking through a microphone to talk to the dark headed boy. "Tate, you can put the contacts in now."

The test subject pulled a case out of his pocket before slipping the contacts into his eyes, waiting for another order.

"Just so we're clear," I started. "These won't wear off? Once they are activated, they're permanent, correct?"

Dr. Lewis nodded his head. "These contacts aren't prototypes. Once they are placed into the eyes and the switch is turned on, they are permanent and the power will not wear off until they are deactivated by switching them off with the device. If you are worried about loyalty, don't be. You are their alpha. Whatever you command, they'll do it with no questions asked."

I nodded and Dr. Lewis proceeded to flip the switch. When I saw the familiar glowing eyes, my smile returned, but I kinked an eyebrow when I noticed that they weren't yellow but a bright red color.

"Why red?" I asked.

Dr. Lewis shrugged. "Just for a fear factor."

I nodded as he showed me some of the things that the contacts were capable of doing, such as strength exercises and speed drills. The small room Tate was standing in was capable of withstanding extreme temperatures of hot and cold, as well as large gusts of wind. Each time the room was turned to below zero or above a hundred degrees Fahrenheit, the muscular boy was unmoved,  not bothered. Dr. Lewis even showed me that if the test subject was tazed or shocked, it wouldn't harm him. The only way to kill him was by a direct shot to the head or heart.

"One last thing before I leave," I said as I turned to the bald headed scientist.

"Anything, Ms. Jauregui," he returned with a crooked smile. We were now situated inside his office, his various credentials hanging on the walls like a decorated war veteran. I rounded his desk to stand next to him, and he instantly stiffened.

"You're the only scientist in the country that knows how to make these contacts, correct?" 

He nervously shook his head and pushed his glasses further up his nose.

"Yes, that is correct. I'm the only one except for Dr. Drake, but I haven't heard from him in months. We were roommates in college."

"Interesting," I squinted my eyes at him. "I just had to make sure before I did something drastic."

He tilted his head to look at me out of confusion, and before he could question me, I stabbed him swiftly with a knife that I pulled from my pocket. Augusta should have upgraded their security, I said to myself as I plunged the knife deeper into his stomach. He fell back into his seat, clutching at the wound with tears in his eyes as he looked up at me.

"I thought we had a deal?" he choked out.

"We do, Fredrick. Your family is still pardoned from the facility like I promised." I gave the knife a twist as the blood trickled out of his mouth. "You being alive is a liability, and I can't have that. Think of this as a sacrifice for your Commander and your Region." I continued to hold the knife inside of him until his eyes were glassed over with tears and his body slumped lifelessly in the chair. Pulling the bloodied knife out of him and wiping the excess blood on his white lab coat, the contrast was striking and oddly fascinating. I left the laboratory with a grin, making my way to city hall with a truck full of contacts...a truck full of ammo.

I started in Augusta, making my way south in the Region, stopping in every city capital to make a speech and deliver the contacts to personnel. I required every guard to wear them as well as every member of the police task force. Those who were reluctant were fired on the spot, and those who wanted to volunteer, did. I left the capitals stronger than I was before, with more power than I ever thought imaginable. It was like I had the entire world in my hands, and I was just getting started. Notably, I had to hire more security to protect myself seeing as the people were starting to revolt just like the other Commanders had said, but I didn't care. I owned them, and soon enough I would own every damn person in this country. Who said a woman couldn't run an army?

A/N: if you have a tumblr and want to follow me, i have one dedicated to this story! come and talk to me and stuff at sadsongsfor-dirtylovers :)