Arwen couldn't remember she had seen her father this defeated. He had seen this coming, but he hadn't known what to do about it because Dís kept him at bay, scared of her own feelings.

"It has nothing to do with you," she reminded him. "We don't know what she's been through. What should I do, father? Be my eyes, so I can be your hands."

"Her temperature should drop first." He summoned an elf and told her to get some cold water and a cloth.

A few moments later Arwen mopped her friend's face.

"Did she complain about something? Was she dizzy, short of breath, nauseous?"

"She told me she didn't feel well." Arwen regretted how she had reacted. She had told her friend that they were almost there. Dís had barely reached the door when she collapsed. "Climbing the stairs took a lot of effort and she was nervous."

Also feeling a bit nervous, she bit her lip. Would her father wonder why she had been nervous? Was it easier to treat her when her father knew Dís hadn't wanted to see him, which had made her so upset? What was more important? Dís' health or Dís' trust? If she violated her trust, much time would be needed to heal that inner wound, while this ailment might be easy to treat with enough rest...

DÍS

. . .

Dís felt so hot. She folded back her blanket, sighing softly when the cold air descended upon her skin. Her legs felt swollen and the wounds she'd caused herself were itching, although she lacked the strength to lift her hand and scratch.

She needed an incredible amount of willpower to open her eyes. What had happened? She had gone to the palace, together with Arwen, to pick up Kíli. Since that moment her memories were blurry. All the holes in her memory scared her, hopefully nothing bad had happened. Maybe she had just been overwhelmed by exhaustion.

"Would you like some water?" an elf asked once he noticed that she'd waken up. Her bed had cracked a bit when she'd tried to sit a little straighter, apparently attracting his attention.

"Yes please," she managed to say. She looked around. The room was so white it made her eyes sting. Apart from one painting of a with dewdrops covered apple, the walls weren't decorated, although there were a few large windows. However, they were too high to look through.

"I will tell Lord Elrond that you're awake," the elf told her once he'd pushed a glass of water in her hands.

"You don't have to," Dís said quickly.

The elf gave her an encouraging smile. "He insists." After these words, the elf turned around, leaving Dís behind.

Her hands were shaking as she moved the glass to her lips. Her instinct told her to run, but where would she go? And how could she ever explain that to someone? It was better to man up.

That was easier said than done. Her heart was hammering in her chest when she heard footsteps. Quickly, she put the glass away and covered her legs with the blankets so he wouldn't see the wounds on her legs. They were swathed however, increasing the fear that he had already seen her injuries.

"Hello," he greeted her after entering the room. It sounded a little forced, as if he wasn't used to a simple greeting like this but believed that a 'good morning' or 'good day' sounded too optimistic.

Dís muttered back a greeting, although she doubted it crossed the side of her bed. Nervously she fidgeted with her nails while he stepped closer. Dís started to panic. She didn't know what to do with her hands and touched for the glass so she could twist it in her restless hands, but in her anxiety she knocked it over.