ღ Chapter 7 ღ

The very next day, I had to go back to the now boring record store I had worked at. Luckily, Desmond had a day off today and Mere was in the back sorting out CD's like usual. I was up on the platform doing my ordinary cash register duties. A few rude customers had came in while some nice ones actually had manners. I was too busy reading an old issue of Teen Vogue I found in a drawer when the bells near the door jangled loudly. I looked up, expecting a goth-dressed teen strolling in while rocking out to The Cure or something. But instead of a Ooh-Look-At-Me-I-Have-Piercings-In-Places-Nobody-Has-Ever-Though-Of-Before teen, it was Aven. 

My heart suddenly went up to my chest and I found it difficult to breathe, and with him in the same room as me after what occurred yesterday, I wasn't emotionally prepared to face him properly. I quickly put my head down, continuing to look at my outdated magazine. Mere stumbled out of the back room, she looked a little mad. "Just got off the phone with my mom, she wants me home now because of my brother's dumb football game. I mean, I don't even like sports." she sighed and twirled the display case of edgy sunglasses around. "You're leaving me alone?" I asked worriedly, glancing briefly at Aven, he takes forever looking for a record. "Don't fret, I have Desmond coming over." she smiled. "Why Desmond?" I inquired. "He wants a good paycheck this week and he's putting in overtime. I would do the same." she said, pulling her purse over her shoulder and walking off the platform. "Why not anybody else?" I mumbled so nobody would hear me. "Well, I have to go, so you know, bye." Mere sighed, she looked at me one last time before opening the door and leaving.

I frowned and read an article on how Brad Pitt and his beard 'evolved.' 

"Hi." said a deep voice I knew too well. I closed the magazine in fright, Aven was standing on the other side of the counter, he didn't have that half-smile on his face like he usually did, he had a plain, lifeless expression. "Need any help?" I asked quietly. "Buying a record." he muttered, placing The Smiths vinyl record on the counter. I stared at it, the record had one of my favorite songs on there, 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.' I remember Desmond and I danced to it that one day. I snapped out of my thoughts when the door opened, "Bailey, I just want to say-" It was Desmond. His eye caught Aven. He looked disgusted, "Never mind." Desmond walked off to the back room and stayed in there. 

I felt uncomfortable now. I rang up Aven's purchases and put it in a bag, "$3.86 is your change." I said, handing Aven his money. He stuffed it into his pocket and stood there, it looked like words were about to come out, but they seemed to not escape. "Thank you." he said at last, before turning around and departing the store. I stood in the same position, somewhere around my heart felt a big and heavy thump. I stormed to the back room where Desmond was sitting down, he was marking vinyl records into the correct pile.

"Having a good time?" he asked me without bothering to look up. "Definitely." I said with my teeth clenched together. Desmond finally laid on his eyes on me, "I don't feel like talking right now. If you couldn't tell, I'm busy." he held up The Beatles record and looked back down. I rolled my eyes, "Why did you change so suddenly?" I inquired, sitting on the fake leather couch and inspected the posters even though I've seen them a million times. "I don't know what you mean." he mumbled. "You just walked in and you looked happy, but when you saw Aven, you-" Desmond held a hand up, "Can you just leave? You're supposed to be on duty, not over in here speaking to me." he said, he sounded a bit defensive and different, it was confusing me. 

"Fine." I scoffed, standing up and walking back into the main part of the store, I stepped on the platform and was bored. There was nothing to entertain myself with. That's when the bells on the door rang loudly, it was Aven...again. "Need directions?" I blurted out, I was so used to being an idiot. Aven walked up to the counter and went, "Left my wallet here. Seen it anywhere?" he questioned. "If I found your wallet hiding anywhere, I wouldn't say anything." I said randomly. "Does that mean you have it?" 

I shook my head, Aven didn't look too amused, I seriously didn't have it nor have I found it anywhere in the store. "I recommend you search for it in the aisle you were in." I suggested. I heard Aven sigh, it was one of those frustrated sighs. I shrugged as if I had nothing to do with it, which was true. Aven went to aisle 7 where he picked up a black wallet off the ground under one of the shelves. "Found it." he held it up and showed me. "Are you mad at me?" I bursted out. Aven turned around and examined my face, the words that were trying to come out earlier were escaping now, I could tell.

"Can we talk?" he asked at last. I glanced at the time, "My shift isn't over until 6:30." I told him, feeling a bit empty. "I can wait." Aven sat down and ran his fingers through his almost black hair. "You don't have to." I assured him. Aven shook his head repeatedly, "Once I set out to do something, it's merely impossible to stop me." I weakly smiled, I admired his determination. 

***

"It's 6:30." Aven reminded me. I looked at the jukebox clock, "Talk at the nearest coffee shop?" I inquired. He nodded, "Sounds fine." he stood up and walked to the door, slowly opening it and directing a hand indicating the 'ladies first' symbol. I walked out the double doors, "Thanks." I muttered. Just when I was about to casually walk down the streets of Manhattan, someone called my name. "Bailey, I need you for something quick." It was Desmond, he sounded a bit defiant. "Yes?" I called out, going back in the record store and looking for him. I spotted the grey patterns on his shirt, he stood up and pointed at something under the front counter.

I stepped on the platform, feeling a bit hesitant. "Listen, I'm meeting someone somewhere and I don't have enough time." I said quietly, I unknowingly played with my hands. "It's going to be quick!" he happily enthused, sounded strangely fake. I got down on my knees and saw what Desmond was dealing with, the front counter had a piece broken and from what I've seen from a 1-second glance, it was a very big piece of wood that had broken.

"What?!" I said angrily, I didn't want Aven waiting too long. "Pass me the super glue." he instructed, motioning his head towards the glue that was sitting on the floor. I grabbed it and handed it to Desmond, he squeezed some of the gooey liquid out onto the wood and stuck it back on the counter, it fell back with a loud thud and it hit my hand. My hand started aching and a visible purple bruise was starting to surface on my skin. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to do-" 

"It's okay." I mumbled, interuppting him. He lifted up my hand and examined it, "Does it hurt when I press on it?" he pressed his thumb on the bruise, a burning and stinging pain erupted through my arm. I recoiled back, Desmond looked a little bit scared. 

"Sorry." he mumbled, he seemed to be really nervous, he quickly, but gently let go of my hand. I grabbed the glue and squirted it back onto the large piece of wood, I put it back, luckily, it stayed in its place. "Hey...thanks." Desmond said quietly. He turned to look at me, I was already staring at him, his cheeks turned to a deep shade of pink. Whenever he blushes, it's really easy to see. 

"I better lea-" before I finished saying what I had to say, I felt someone's lips crash into mine. I felt a little dreamy and a tad bit hazy, but I guess that's what happens when you share a kiss with your guy best friend. I was shocked, a flash of confusion went right through me. I must've done something wrong because soon, Desmond pulled back, his eyes focusing on my lips, then my nose, then my cheeks, then he made it to my eyes. 

"Leave." I finished my sentence.

We were locking eyes for awhile until I broke the ongoing gaze between us. "Are you okay?" Desmond asked out of nowhere.

"I'm fine." I said nervously, my stomach was slowly turning ever since the kiss. Before Desmond said anything else, I stood back up behind the counter and went, "I have to go now. I'll see you tomorrow." I quickly walked over to Aven, he was staring at me. "Let's go?" he inquired, pushing one of the double doors open and holding it out for me. I nodded, "Yeah." I replied back. I looked back at Desmond through the glass window, he was busy putting the glue away back in the drawer. "Are you okay? You don't look too good." Aven noticed.

"I'm fine." I lied, everything wasn't fine. In fact, my mind was racing and a thousand thoughts were coming and going. I slid into Aven's car, "To the coffee shop now, shall we?" he asked me. "Yeah." I answered back. I looked out the window and continued observing Desmond. My stomach turned again and then a surge of butterflies were released unexpectedly. I looked straight ahead and ignored the feeling when I didn't really want to let it go, it was starting to feel good for a second. 

The car lurched forward and we were off. I forced my mind to be blank and it worked, but the nervous feelings still remained there and I was afraid of not erasing them.